HELP 2009 won't idle !!!!!!!!!! or run below 1/4 throttle

OK starting a new thread to gain advice what to do next

Motor is mechanically OK (confirm by my tuner and self)

Spark is strong (new plug)

No MIL lights

Fuel pump seems fine (new filter) as the byspass operates consistantly

Motor requires about 1/4 throttle to start

It runs perfectly from 1/4 to WFO (sits on the rev limiter fine) plenty of power and no missing or any other issue

Motor burbles and dies with anything under about 1/4 throttle

Pulling the idle knob make no difference (just dies as soon as I let the throttle go below 1/4)

HELP what do I do next??????

Stator?

Injector?

Rectifier?

ECM?

Buddy of mine had same problem. He found someone else with on 09 and switched tanks to see if it was the fuel pump and it started right up. Worth a try. A 2010 would work as well.

Did you ever take the throttle body off? I would take it off and clean it super good (use throttle body specific cleaner! never use carb cleaner as it is quite bad for a throttle body)

Could have a blocked passage or something. Also check your vac. line to your MAP sensor and make sure there is no tear in it or anything.

BTW yes I was when I find out what the cause of the problem is

BTW it did start better without the PCV

BTW I said to Jonanthon I did not know whether the PCV was the cause or a symptom (now it appears to be a symptom)

we can sell/send you one if you arent in a hurry but i know you probaly are.

i doubt you will ever find a alternative pump. motorcycles are funny that way.

if i were you before i did anything else i would borrow someones tank/pump for a quick test.

How old is the fuel, try dumping what is in the tank and running some fresh from the can race fuel through her and see what she does, the popping sounds like a problem a friend of mine had. The idle adjustment works backwards from what most are used to so maybee she just needs some counter clockwise lovin. Those are my 2 best guesses, really hard to diagnose the bike without actually looking at it.

pulled the injector and inspected and cleaned. The best you can with a solid state unit......

Bikes seems to be running a bit better.

Question for those in the know. Is there a startup circuit that operates before the bike kicks into normal operation (either for the stator or the EFI itself)?????

My bike kicks over and runs for three second just turning over then seems to kick into the correct idle afterwards. It is these 3-4 seconds that seem to be an issue.

• 1 month later...

It was my ECU. The way I found it is I got a tuner to try and communicate with the ECU using the Honda tool. It would not communicate. I bought a 2010 ECU which was cheaper than a 2009 here in Australia. Bike now starts 1-2 kicks cold or hot and runs sweet.

• 11 months later...
It was my ECU. The way I found it is I got a tuner to try and communicate with the ECU using the Honda tool. It would not communicate. I bought a 2010 ECU which was cheaper than a 2009 here in Australia. Bike now starts 1-2 kicks cold or hot and runs sweet.

Is there another name for ECU? I'm not finding that part anywhere.