What could i swap / trade for my 2008 honda crf450r

i have an '08 crf450r currently and i will be getting my motorcycle licence (in australia) in about 9 months time, and you obviously cant ride the crf450r on the road, and because i love to ride any motorcycle in general anywhere, i would like to have something other than the MXer. and i was thinking.....

what bike(s) could i possibly trade / swap for my '08 crf450r.what bikes would someone trade with me for.

i would preferebly like to ride a road/trail bike, eg, crf250/450x, wr250/450x, dr-z's, xr's etc etc etc. i would love to ride the "x" version of my bike

here is the list of bikes i CAN ride in my country:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/lams_list_100202.pdf

if you think a 450x is able to handle the road better than the R youre very wrong.. same with the crf250/wr250.. WAY too small to be held at 100+ km/h for hours at a time.

the tranny might be 10-20% better than the R for road use, but the engine will be dead in a year.

like stallion said, get a big bore ktm, or an xr.

if you think a 450x is able to handle the road better than the R youre very wrong.. same with the crf250/wr250.. WAY too small to be held at 100+ km/h for hours at a time.

well i don't really plan to go that fast for that long, i would like to use it as a little get around town thing, from my house to local friends. the highest speed i would go is about 80km/h (50mp/h) for about 5 minutes. so now do you think the crf450x would be good? just asking!!

well i don't really plan to go that fast for that long, i would like to use it as a little get around town thing, from my house to local friends. the highest speed i would go is about 80km/h (50mp/h) for about 5 minutes. so now do you think the crf450x would be good? just asking!!

no not really. theyre in a way, race engines still. the titanium intake valves and other parts are not made for excessive highway riding. 4th gear 7000rpm or 5th gear 3000rpm for minutes at a time is not good for those engines valve trains. theyre made for quick blips WFO then letting off. you will be very hard on a crf if you choose to bring it on the highway. theyre made for lots of power, light engine parts, lots of maintenance/rebuilds.

yes the crfx is a trail bike, but its more of a trail bike than it is an enduro/cross country bike IMO.

if you wanna drive highway, get an xr or equivalent model. they got heavier tougher engine parts, better internal gear ratios and sprocket ratios for top speeds. little bit less power but twice the top speed.

80km/h all day is nothing for an xr500 or xr650.

80 km/h all day on a crf450 and you will be putting a new 1500$ rebuild into it every 2 months IMO. theres a reason you rarely see crfs flying down the highway with street tires... the engines and trannies are just not made for it.

but they are a machine, and a machine is a machine, not like a human where it gets tired an all.

huh?

dont swap it, youll never find a decent deal. your best bet is to sell the crf450, get a wad of cash from it. then go buy a bike and either have to throw in another few hundred bucks, or you save a few hundred bucks. but thats the way to do it. sell the crf, you can buy anything you want with cash... but you cant trade that crf450 for anything you want.

around here, a used 08 crf450 goes for around 6000-6500$ CAD

in the states, that same used 08 crf450 will go for 3000$.

so if you can get a good price for it and sell it fast that would obviously be your best bet.

I dont know.. but there just is. and its not like the canadian dollar is weak either. its been 98-99 cents to the american dollar for months now ­čĹŹ I think it has something to do with the recession that the USA is in whereas canadians arent quite bad in debt is my guess. people in the USA are not trying to maximize their profits, theyre trying to minimize their losses. IMO. beggers cant be choosers.

guys here in the USA are getting brand new 09s for 5000$ out the door from a stealership!

an 09 crf450r here in canada (30 min north of the USA border) goes for 7000$ used, 8000$ new or used and with under 3 hours on it.

the price difference is ridiculous but thats irrelevant to what youre wanting to do.

you will either sell your 08 for top dollar, and pay top dollar for the equivalent street bike.

or you will sell the 08 for dirt cheap, and pick up the equivalent street bike for dirt cheap.

no matter what you sell it for, it will all even out in the end. a market is a market and it doesnt change overnight or with a different type of bike.