06 or 08 KTM 300xcw

I am returing to a KTM 300 after a 4.5 year hiatus on a CR250 and am wondering if I should take a good deal on an 06 or hold out and save up for an 08 with the new frame, suspension upgrades, e-start etc.

I mostly ride trails and hit a few harscrambles here and there, Vet C class so I don't really know if the upgrades would even be that noticable to me with exception to the button. Obviously an 08 is a better bike, but I can pickup an 06 for $2000 but dont see many 08 for less than $4500.

Thanks.

Get the 06 and re-valve and re-spring for $800.00.....and keep the rest of the money for tires, pistons, bearings, break pads and assorted farkles....My 07 250 lights up when I look at the kick starter, no button necessary.

Just talked to the seller again. The 06 has in excess of 200 hrs on it with regular top end replacements. I know these bikes last a long time but that is a lot of hours. I has been adult, 50+ owned its entire existence. Any thoughts?

I put 150hrs a season on mine...No problem. When you get the bike change the heim joint, lube the swing arm bearing, head bearings...when the suspension is done they will change the fork fluid, seals etc...and re build the shock...

I have an 06 300 XC and now have an 08 300 XC. I would go with the 08. The front feels lighter but turns better and the power smother. The 08 XC has harsh forks stock but are easy to fix with a re valve or sub tanks. The extra you pay now will be there if you sell the bike

I looked at and rode the 06. It definately had plenty of power still but had some issues. It was leaking oil and he claimed it was from the clutch cover (not the outer round one) and had a gasked for it. But with a skid plate on and the bike was dirty, I was not going to chance that. Plus the brakes felt squishy, probably just needed new fluid and the pope had been bent around the frame slightly. Too many issues, so I am still looking. Just missed a near perfect 07 and am considering another 07 with 102 hrs on it.

$3500 is my limit and $3000 would be much better, so don't think I am going to find an 08 in that range unless it has serious issues. With baby #2 due on June, I am not in a big hurry as whatever I buy my sit for a while so I may not even buy one until the fall/winter when I can get a better deal. Will keep watching cl & ebay for deals too good to pass up.

Thanks guys