Sign in to follow this  

Trials Tire In Washiington

So I bit the bullet and ponied up the cash to lace up a new 18" rear wheal for my YZ and mounted up a lovely new trials tire. I'll be riding the NMA enduro series this year so I'll be riding a lot in Tahuya, and Walker valley as well as capital forrest. The occasional trip over to Cle Elum to ride Yellow hill will be in the works too. Any suggestions on how to run this tire best? (tire pressure etc) anything I should know?

Carry a pump and a good gauge and vary the pressure as needed, experiment. 2 psi can make a world of difference.

Yep. Don't know which tire you went with, how much you weigh, or how you ride. Pressure recommendation is impossible, and likely would not benefit you much anyway. FWIW I generally run between 6 - 8 in the NC mountain area. If I'm going to be doing high speed wide open trails or on-road I'll push it up around 10+. So just experiment with it and see what works best for you in given conditions.

You'll love it!

I don't have any first hand experience yet - I just ordered a Pirelli MT43 and Tubliss system because I have to ride on pavement to get to the trails.

My research is that the different makes and models have different characteristics - some are soft, some not so soft, and the DOT Pirelli is hard. Since my main concern was not tearing it up on pavement I didn't go with the soft.

I have heard that for Enduro riding in general a lot of people have liked the Dunlop 803, the Michelin being softer. But as already mentioned, it probably depends on you and the bike.

Pretty much ride all of the same terrain as you and also ride the NMA Enduro's

I use between 8 and 10 lbs in my 803's and have not had any problems. Just do not run them on the asphalt for extended periods at speeds above 45mph. You will loose all of the center nobs, I have proof. Perelli's will hold up to the speed and heat but are a little harder compound.

See you in 9 days

Scotts%20024.jpg

geez...i thought my YZ was unique and badass! Shotgunscot's bike put's mine to shame!

here's a photo before the new reaer wheel, 285 kit, trials tire and yellow plastics

th_FILE0007.jpg

and here's one during application of graphics and seat

IMG_0380.jpg

I put on the MT43 with the Tubliss and love it!! Run it at 8PSI for my first ride and stopping in mud was the only thing that tripped me up. If I kept moving it will just grab and go, it's freakish.

Went with the MT43 because it's inexpensive and can be ridden on when flat.

Went Tubliss because I wanted to. It works. Period. Plus I can run pressure so low that a gauge hardly reads it.

Think I'm gonna run an 803 next if I can ever wear out this MT43, lol! Going on 2 years with the MT43 fitted, and it still works like new. No knobs missing or cracked, and about 50% of original knob height remaining. Insane.

Think I'm gonna run an 803 next if I can ever wear out this MT43, lol! Going on 2 years with the MT43 fitted, and it still works like new. No knobs missing or cracked, and about 50% of original knob height remaining. Insane.

Good luck with the 803, haven't tried a MT43 but my 803 didn't last long. 2 years! I got a few rides from 803.

Well, about 18 mo's so far I guess. Lots of ride time in there...

first time out on the 803 yesterday and I was AMAZED...it was wet and slippery andf I NEVER lost traction! Hills, sand, rocks...it just kept grabbing! truly amazing!

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. I don't care what tire you run, how you vote, or what gender gets you off. Please don't take this opinion as anything other than an observation. If you get all bent out of shape because of my opinion on tires, please remind me to never ride with you. I'm a beginner on a modern bike (TE 310) that rides singletrack.

Just off my first outing on an x-11 with UHD tube. Frankly, I was surprised how similar it felt to a knobby considering all the hype (both ways) over trials tires. I'll be experimenting with lower pressures, but at this point I wouldn't wholeheartedly advise it over a knobby. Went off the beaten path and although it clearly outperformed in the most common areas (roots and rocks) it was downright perplexing in slick clay and deep organic soil. Most of the time I think it was helping me; a small amount of the time it wasn't, but during that small time I really didn't like it. My advice would be to try one and see how you feel about it. Right now I'm leaning toward the "nice, but not for me" opinion, but I'm not about to give up after one ride.