Sign in to follow this  

Tire repair?

hello all,

I have been thinking about taking either fix-a-flat or slime with me when I take an upcoming trip, and was wondering if anyone had much experience with this? I will also be taking a tube. Thanks

Those things will only work on the slightest of air leaks if you are very lucky and are worthless to fix most punctures. Get proper tire irons, a quality patch kit and preferably one of the small 12v air pumps. Carry a spare front tube for the worst case scenario (it will work in the front or rear). Practice removing the wheels, taking the tire off the rims and putting it all back together in your garage using just the tools on your bike so you are familiar with the process. It is easy, but you don't want to climb the learning curve out in the woods.

Yeah. What he said. Don't bring that mess. They won't work. What we need is some lube as that is the only thing I don't have in a "travel size". I went on a DS ride last May and someone had a small tub of some pasty stuff. It was like slick toothpaste. Anyone heard of it or have a suggestion for travel size bead lube? If you don't want to spring for the irons and tubes I have us covered until we have more than one flat front and rear.

Yeah. What he said. Don't bring that mess. They won't work. What we need is some lube as that is the only thing I don't have in a "travel size".

Fill a travel sized pump bottle with soap and water 👍

Slime has gotten me out of the woods twice, and one was a pinch flat. That took some time to get sealed.

I carry a 8oz bottle of slime and the Slime compressor.

A patch kit is great because sometimes you can get access to the hole without dismounting the tire.

I just bought a front fender bag so I can carry two 11" irons and a 21" tube.

As far as "Fix A Flat" is concerned, last I knew that stuff was for tubeless tires only.

Thanks all,

I got my tire irons today, and front/rear tubes. Should be set. I'll still get a patch kit to repair any tube that I may have to pull out, just as a back up. I just have to make sure my 12V mini pump still works.

@ Fatchance, good idea, that is exactly what I want to do, I want to get proficient using the tools I carry.

One of those compact MTB pumps will work fine, especially the double shot kind that pumps in both directions of the stroke. And they are small enough to fit in a repair kit ... I seem to have a knack for blowing fuses with those 12v pumps, so I quit using them a long time ago.

One of those compact MTB pumps will work fine, especially the double shot kind that pumps in both directions of the stroke. And they are small enough to fit in a repair kit ... I seem to have a knack for blowing fuses with those 12v pumps, so I quit using them a long time ago.

I know my 12V pump is on it's way out. I have been looking at the mini foot pump from Twisted Throttle or one of the MTB pumps you mentioned.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/734/

What we need is some lube as that is the only thing I don't have in a "travel size". I went on a DS ride last May and someone had a small tub of some pasty stuff. It was like slick toothpaste. Anyone heard of it or have a suggestion for travel size bead lube?

This is what I use...

20081112-141904.jpg

i've tried 3 cans of tyre weld, none of them worked. Waste of money

I personally don't carry anything as a flat tyre won't stop me from getting home, but if you insist, bare minimum is 2 mini tyre levers. You can get away with leaving the rim on the bike, just lever one side of the tyre off and stuff it full of grass in the case of not having a tube. If you can only carry 1 tube carry a 21" as it will work in either the front or rear rim, a 17" will not work in the front

Why carry the Slime with you? Might as well install it in your tubes and run it full time to prevent flats. I recommend Ride-On sealant over Slime as it is made for high speed applications and is an excellent wheel balancer also.

But whatever sealant you use then carrying a spare tube with you is mandatory. Tubes cannot be easily patched on the trail if they have sealant in them.

Also for bead lube I carry a small wrapped hotel bar of soap. Can mix with water when needed. I also carry a small 2oz can of WD-40 (99 Cent Store), if a small bead section is stubborn can use a short spray.

_