A bike for a seven year old. . .

I want to get my little bro into motocross (if I can get it round his mum . . .) any suggestions for a good bike and cheap kit??? Engine size etc . . .๐Ÿ‘ I don't want to explain to people why my brother is in hospital, etc, so be sensible:cripple: he is a little bit squishy around the edges but I hope he'll like this sport, I think seeing our 250 may scare him:crazy:.

I would say start him out on a 85. You may think thats a lot of power for him, but there are things you can do to tame it down. Also starting out on a powerful bike will make things easier for him, in the long run. I started out on a 80 and fell over numerous times and wanted to give up, but my dad stuck with me and I ended up loving it. Since he is 7, most likely he will out grow a 65 pretty fast. You didn't post his weight and height, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Just teach him all the fundamentals of the bike first, such as how to use the clutch, shift, brakes, and what not to do. Hope this helps.

I would say start him out on a 85. You may think thats a lot of power for him, but there are things you can do to tame it down. Also starting out on a powerful bike will make things easier for him, in the long run. I started out on a 80 and fell over numerous times and wanted to give up, but my dad stuck with me and I ended up loving it. Since he is 7, most likely he will out grow a 65 pretty fast. You didn't post his weight and height, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Just teach him all the fundamentals of the bike first, such as how to use the clutch, shift, brakes, and what not to do. Hope this helps.

i've never met a seven y/o that could ever sit on an 85 nevermind a beginner! ๐Ÿ‘

these threads are really starting to annoy me, scroll up the page and use that wonderful thing called "search"

plus you should expalin a lil bit: wheight, height, is he athletic?, can he ride a bicycle?

i've never met a seven y/o that could ever sit on an 85 nevermind a beginner! ๐Ÿ‘

these threads are really starting to annoy me, scroll up the page and use that wonderful thing called "search"

plus you should expalin a lil bit: wheight, height, is he athletic?, can he ride a bicycle?

KID..your only 13 years old. You don't have a clue about what really annoys you yet. Now back to the real question....

I started my son on a TTR 90 at 7 years old. It's not much of a mx bike but it was a great bike to learn on. In about four mouths I was getting him a KX65 before he koncked the suspension out of the TTR.... 6 mouths after getting the 65 I still can't keep up. He just keep getting faster & faster and I just got fater & fater...

Thanks For the advice guys I know I should have put more info regarding his build on but it wasn't available. I've got a lot to think about as I seem to have found a subject that has many different opinions. Just as a pointer to those who argue about 85 cc, I was 13 when I started on a big wheel 85 and it was probably enough, I've bever had a limited 85cc or a small wheel. Once again thanks for the advice and I will continue to check this page so please do post more opinions.

Josh:ride:

when i was 7, i was riding a 65. But i started riding dirtbikes when i was 3 or 4. but i think if you or he wants to ride at the track i think a 65 would e good, but if he is just learning to ride in your yard or something, he should start on a crf70 or kx 50 or what ever they are. thats just what i think.

I started my son when he was 5 on a crf50, he's 7 now and he's still riding it but now it has a 110cc motor, bbr forks anf an extended swingarm and aftermarket rear shock. He rides the wheels off it.

I tried to get him into a bigger bike but it seemed to scare him. The bigger kids on much bigger bikes have a hard time keeping up with him. I think it is because he is comfortable on that bike!

Ok.. Lets Go I have a 4 / 5/ and a 7 year old My 4 year olds bike is a Qr 50 the 5 year old has a crf 50 both bikes have governors on them which i think is a must!My 7 year old has a Husky boy Pro snr this bike flys and is not for a beginner! It has a lot to do with the weight and height of the rider, only when they start jumping would go for some thing with better suspension like the husky boy as thay are a race bike not a beginners bike. ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks For the advice guys I know I should have put more info regarding his build on but it wasn't available. I've got a lot to think about as I seem to have found a subject that has many different opinions. Just as a pointer to those who argue about 85 cc, I was 13 when I started on a big wheel 85 and it was probably enough, I've bever had a limited 85cc or a small wheel. Once again thanks for the advice and I will continue to check this page so please do post more opinions.

Josh:ride:

Dude, dont listen to most of these idiots. He is 7 freakin years old. a 85 is gonna rip his arms off. a 110 are you f#@$ing kidding me. My oldest is gonna be 9 next week. Today I measured his inseam to compare with seat heights specs. If he cant touch the ground he's gonna freak and crash = then not wanna ride. He is kinda tall but pretty normal his inseam is 29". I started at 7 with a Z50A. perfect. I checked seat heights on xr, pw, kdx 50s all around 19" (if adjustable, at the lowest point). Too small for my kid. Then I checked 80 cc's 24-28" seat heights. Ok he's getting something like an 80. Then I decided I dont want a 2 smoke for his first bike. starting it, working a power band through the woods = no fun for 9 yo. I'll get him a 4 stroke. OK clutch or no clutch. NO CLUTCH. 3 speed auto, just like the z50 I learned on. Check craigslist and find yamaha pw80's for sale, 4 or 5 of them. Found on 2 miles from my house for a good price, perfect condition. sold. I know he is gonna grow out of it by the end of the summer but he will have CONFIDENCE. I will teach him the respect for the bike and the woods. I will teach him how to take on obstacles. I will teach him how to work on his bike and equipment. That's what a starter bike is about. After he grows out of it the bike gets handed to his little brother and THEN we can go shop for a real bike.

That is what I did.

Imagine this boys face when he gets a new bike for his birthday ๐Ÿ‘

reminds me or the day I got my Honda. just my .02 good luck w/ your little bro.

Dude, dont listen to most of these idiots. He is 7 freakin years old. a 85 is gonna rip his arms off. a 110 are you f#@$ing kidding me. My oldest is gonna be 9 next week. Today I measured his inseam to compare with seat heights specs. If he cant touch the ground he's gonna freak and crash = then not wanna ride. He is kinda tall but pretty normal his inseam is 29". I started at 7 with a Z50A. perfect. I checked seat heights on xr, pw, kdx 50s all around 19" (if adjustable, at the lowest point). Too small for my kid. Then I checked 80 cc's 24-28" seat heights. Ok he's getting something like an 80. Then I decided I dont want a 2 smoke for his first bike. starting it, working a power band through the woods = no fun for 9 yo. I'll get him a 4 stroke. OK clutch or no clutch. NO CLUTCH. 3 speed auto, just like the z50 I learned on. Check craigslist and find yamaha pw80's for sale, 4 or 5 of them. Found on 2 miles from my house for a good price, perfect condition. sold. I know he is gonna grow out of it by the end of the summer but he will have CONFIDENCE. I will teach him the respect for the bike and the woods. I will teach him how to take on obstacles. I will teach him how to work on his bike and equipment. That's what a starter bike is about. After he grows out of it the bike gets handed to his little brother and THEN we can go shop for a real bike.

That is what I did.

Imagine this boys face when he gets a new bike for his birthday ๐Ÿ‘

reminds me or the day I got my Honda. just my .02 good luck w/ your little bro.

PW80 is a 2 stroke.....๐Ÿคฃ