Sign in to follow this  

what do i do?

When i bought a kx250f i found out that there was a minor oil leak so i take off the skid plate and notice some jb weld on the gasket line i chip it away and this is what i see, do i need to replace the gaskets or new cases? The jb weld was at the bottom of the picture you can see where it looks like someone tried to pry the cases apart

untitled.jpg

Ouch. Seal it up with whatever you can. When you need to split the cases in the future, you can build up that area with an epoxy for aluminum and sand it smooth, then do a really good job with the hondabond or whatever you like to use. should hold. It's ugly, but I don't think I'd replace the cases for that as long as you can get the leak stopped.

Hummmmm, looks like someone split the cases and used a screw driver to pry them apart. 👍

JB weld on a seam, that's putting a band aide on........ that would PISS ME OFF!!!

No way could I sell a bike and not tell someone of that, I'll at least point out problems and let the buyer decide.

Hard call but for me I'd just split the cases, fix it and be done with it. But if you have to pay a shop.....

Hummmmm, looks like someone split the cases and used a screw driver to pry them apart. 👍

JB weld on a seam, that's putting a band aide on........ that would PISS ME OFF!!!

No way could I sell a bike and not tell someone of that, I'll at least point out problems and let the buyer decide.

Hard call but for me I'd just split the cases, fix it and be done with it. But if you have to pay a shop.....

So after you got the cases split...what would you do to repair this????

Other than welding it up and milling it back down I don't see any way to repair it other than replacing the cases. It's not leaking much. I say clean the case up with a wire wheel on a drill. Use a two part epoxy to seal it up and replace the skid plate. You can worry about this later unless you just want to spend the extra dollars....

what should i do to fix it though, new cases?

Drain the oil, lean the bike over, clean area with brake clean and let dry.

Mix up some JB weld, apply it to the holes, this is only temporary. When you rebuild the motor in the future; split the cases use opoxy, or weld the dings, sand flat and smooth and your done. You can fix those holes with out buying new cases. When "you" rebuild the motor use the right tools. "IE case splitter"

I hope thats the only damb ass move the prevoius owner made. Good luck! MX:thumbsup:

Ouch. Seal it up with whatever you can. When you need to split the cases in the future, you can build up that area with an epoxy for aluminum and sand it smooth, then do a really good job with the hondabond or whatever you like to use. should hold. It's ugly, but I don't think I'd replace the cases for that as long as you can get the leak stopped.

+1 epoxy is great jb weld works but is brittle. My brother-in-law put a hole not a crack but a dime size hole in his ignition side cover on a double header race weekend and we repaired it the night between races. we put a dime on one side 5 minute epoxy on the other let it cure. Then applied epoxy to the other side. It lasted that race and about 5 more races until the stealer ship could get him a cover. no leaks looked as good as the day we did it and i am sure it would have lasted the rest of the season.👍

so without splitting the case, clean it, sand it, and epoxy it?

yup! worth a shot if it doesn't work at least you tried but I'm sure it will. you got nothing to lose:ride:

thanks ill give it a try any kind of epoxys you recommend and how do i go about the sanding process

try it without splitting the case. you don't need to sand it to much just enough to rough it up.

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=175 this is good stuff. You need to clean the area well with a degreaser of some kind (brake cleaner) then scuff area with a 60ish grit sandpaper and steel wool. Then use a aluminum etching cleaner (wheel cleaner) then respray with the degrease let dry and then put on epoxy . Make sure you apply the epoxy at least a inch around the area and feather it out so there is no high ridges around the repair. You can probably find all this stuff at a auto supply (napa) or what ever you have in your area:ride: