Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Locks on knobbies - do you have one??

Curious on how many people ride with knobbies and NO wheel locks on their DRZ? I thought I had them, but when riding yesterday with low pressure I tore the tube valve stem as the tire moved on the rim on rear tire. I see my front valve stem is at an angle too, like it has shifted. What is the lowest air pressure you can ride without the tire slipping?

Keith

Got to install a rim lock...or you will continue to rip out valvestems. I suggest you get the wheel spin balanced after...because the rim lock does cause a significant out of balance situation.

I ran 18 p.s.i. without rim locks, and now run about 14 p.s.i. with them. I wouldn't go any lower than say 15 p.s.i. without rim locks. Even then you're not guaranteed to not spin the tire on the rim.

• Like 1

I would not go any lower then 15 psi without them.

With them and UHD tubes 12-13 (rear) in heavy rocks, 8-9 psi (rear) and 10-11 psi (front) in mixed conditions.

• Like 1

With a Pirelli MT-16 on the rear, I've ripped off two valve stems @ 18 and 20 psi on the street. Both times were under hard acceleration while cornering; hard enough to make the tire produce funny whining sounds and stinky smoke. Up front, I've got a Maxxis IT w/18-20 psi and ripped the valve stem trying to do stoppies. Every time I've ripped a stem, it's because I was doing something stupid. Off-road, I've never had a problem, but I run my tires about 18/16 psi. I guess it depends on how and where you ride.

Rim locks, if you ride on the street much, can be a real PITA. Because they weigh 2.5 and 4.5/5.0 ounces front to rear respectively, trying to balance a wheel with them can be very difficult.

As I have to ride about 50 miles, one way, at speeds of 40 to 70 mph to get to the dirt. I removed the rim locks on my Sherco and run 17/18 psi. front and rear. Never had a flat off-road, but that doesn't mean that I never will.

If my ride consisted of substantially less road, I'd pop the rim locks back on, run 13 psi and be a happy camper.

I've considered running the "TUbliss" system so I could run lower pressures in the dirt without concern of the tire turning, but that still leaves me with too low a pressure for the street ride home. Perhaps a small hand pump to add the 6-7 psi per tire needed for road use after the dirt ride.

Cheers,

C

17psi front, 15psi rear, heavy duty tubes, no rim locks, no spinning, no traction problems.

Tyres matter. Michelins for me.

I run hard at the front to avoid pinch flats on our rocky ground, but as it's the UK there's always mud and plenty of fords and river crossings too.

Thanks guys - Guess I should stay up around 20 or so to be safe, just sucks for the sand. They guy at the dealer said it is a PIA to balance a tire with rim locks and typically the side oppisite will have lots of weights on the spokes.

Keith

You can run two opposing rim locks if your concerned with wheel balance.

+1. If you only run one in each wheel, you will especially feel it in the front wheel when you're street riding as it will constantly be slightly going up and down which you will feel.

i just balanced my wheels (with one rim lock per wheel) using the stick on rim weights... no bounce on the road :-)

That works great 👍 I always just figured if I was going to have that weight on the other side of my rim lock,, why not put something of rim lock weight that has a function other then dead weight.. Second rim lock adds the balance weight needed and helps secure the tie at low pressure or if you have to rind out on a flat.

There is no worng answer, just different ways to get to the same trail head🤣

I installed two rimlocks, front and rear, and used 3/4 .oz and 1/4.oz respectively, to balance the wheels. I think next time I'd rather have more wheel weights than deal with two rimlocks. PITA!

I only go to 12 when in the sand on my Gasser and yes it has rim locks. But when riding dirt I don't go any lower than 15 but try to keep them around 18

But my Gasser is 100 lbs lighter than the Z's....weighs in at 220 wet 👍

Rim locks, if you ride on the street much, can be a real PITA. Because they weigh 2.5 and 4.5/5.0 ounces front to rear respectively, trying to balance a wheel with them can be very difficult.

As I have to ride about 50 miles, one way, at speeds of 40 to 70 mph to get to the dirt. I removed the rim locks on my Sherco and run 17/18 psi. front and rear. Never had a flat off-road, but that doesn't mean that I never will.

If my ride consisted of substantially less road, I'd pop the rim locks back on, run 13 psi and be a happy camper.

I've considered running the "TUbliss" system so I could run lower pressures in the dirt without concern of the tire turning, but that still leaves me with too low a pressure for the street ride home. Perhaps a small hand pump to add the 6-7 psi per tire needed for road use after the dirt ride.

Cheers,

C

I have a DS DRZ400E and I have the same problem . . . I need to ride a lot of street in between dirt trails and the tires shake a lot at 45 MPH+.

I was thinking of going Tubliss to solve the issue, too. However, if you take a closer look, you will see that the Tubliss system DOES have a rim lock as well. So although weight may be a bit less and flats easier to fix, the wheel will still be unbalanced with a Tubliss system.

Since I ride a lot of high-speed street now, I have to run 17 front & 17 rear to keep the tires from overheating. Since I run fairly high PSIs anyway, I was thinking about just getting rid of the rimlocks and taking my chances with tire/tube spin. Based on what people have said here, I think I may just try that and see what happens.

thats exactly why i went with the weights..... its bad enough dealing with one rim lock when fixing a flat on the trail.

Frank

I run my rim locked wheel unbalanced, and while it does "bounce" a little you get used to it. I just did about 100 street miles at 60 mph and it was fine.

I run my rim locked wheel unbalanced, and while it does "bounce" a little you get used to it. I just did about 100 street miles at 60 mph and it was fine.

Same here. Just get used to it. Kind of adds some excitement to the rides on the interstate.

• Haha 1

I run off road tires without locks, unbalanced on my S between 14-16 psi. Anything under 14 psi usually results in a flat for me. Never had a problem from not balancing.