Sign in to follow this  

96 KDX200 Fork Springs

I just got my KDX last weekend and am starting some work before the season gets here. (I live in michigan so that might be never) I have been doing reading on what to get for me and I have come across some contradicting information. Race Tech says one thing and FRP says something else. During my reading people say that they have done their forks and it makes a big difference. So far I have found those two companies are the only places that list fork springs for the bike. My question to you is what company makes your springs? Where did you get them? Would you recommend them?

I am 6'2" 220lbs without gear on. Any help would be appreciated.

Part of this is personal preference as well. I think fredette likes them a little softer. Either one will be fine. Go with the higher number if you're more aggressive.

What is your normal riding terrain going to be? What is your skill level? Will you be racing or just cruising around?

Race Tech 3647 springs or Eibach 996 series springs will work. I have used and recommend either one. I have one KDX with Eibach 996 springs and one with Race Tech 3647 springs.

I am the same weight as you, but only 5' 11". I use .44 Kg/mm rate springs. Unless you are only riding at a casual pace, the .44 rate springs may be the ones for you. I rode a friend's 1997 KDX220R with .42 springs and wanted a little stiffer spring in them.

I would also suggest 10mm of preload. From what I have read, Fredette seems to recommened a higher amount of preload, but almost all other tuners shy away from that.

Or buy later model Honda XR400 springs and get rid of the original preload spacers. When you intall the springs, make sure to turn the tube on to the cap, and not the cap on to the tube. This way, they won't "click" and rub internally.

I knew i would forget some information 👍 I have never ridden a dirt bike before but I am a quick learner. I have however been on a street bike which I found has opposite thinking of everything to do with a dirtbike. So the little knowledge i thought I had really doesnt do me as much good as I thought. I will be doing trail riding and some track riding. Not too much on the track riding though. Im gonna ride with two different sets of friends of which prefer two different types of riding. I am a quick learner and have a tendency to push the boundaries when it comes to adventerous things. From what I read so far the .44 springs are what I am going to be wanting. That is what I read origionally but fredette made me second guess myself. Thank you guys for your valuable input. One more thing. Because you use appropriate springs do you stay with standard oil weight or do you find that changing the oil weight one way or the other helps more or less. I know the springs are the important part but want to make sure that I have everything set and thought of before I start as this will be my first time taking forks apart at all. Thanks again for everyone who responded and sorry for everyone who read this and fell asleep.

I suggest you stick with 5 weight (stock). Skip AT, as it has been reported on the suspension tuner forum as 7.5 w on up to 10 weight, depending on brand. Several who have reported that it worked better than their old oil failed to realize just how OLD their old oil was.

Go with about 10mm of preload.

Skip the XR400R springs. They are .38 or .40, depending on which year model they are from. Unless you want to drop 50 pounds, then you can save a little money. 👍

i got the frederette front fork springs and used the recommended 7.5 fork fluid, 100mm from the top. it made a huge difference. go with it. plus they are good with the support.