Sign in to follow this  

Mikuni Specific Cables

What are the part numbers for the cables needed to run a Mikuni TM-36 on the XR 400? What makes them different than the stock cables? Where, other than XR's only, can you find them? Can they be found in longer versions? I'm already running a Scott's SUB mount and taller bars (99mm), so the stock cables are routed at their limit as it is. Since I'll need new ones, I figure I might as well add a little length while I'm at it.

It sounds like you are using the stock carb currently but thinking of going with a Mikuni and to prevent having too short of cables like you have now with your bars and submounts, you're wanting to get extra length cables for the Mikuni from the outset.

Both Motion Pro and Barnett make custom cables. They have cable data for all makes and models. You tell them you want cables for a specific model bike, stock + whatever extra length you want. In your case, they would need to understand that the throttle tube end fittings need to be stock and the carb ends need to fit the Mikuni, whatever those are. I've seen online cable ordering systems that had pictures/specs of the specific type and size cable end, housings and fittings that you choose from when building your custom cables.

You might get someone to take a picture of their Mikuni cable ends and fittings that came with the XRs Only kit to see what they are like so you'll have something to go by when custom ordering.

XRs Only might be able to tell you who made the cables for their carb kit and give you the part#s for them, then you could tell whoever, I need this part# cable + so many inches.

I have had Motion Pro build such cables for me.

There is some issue that if you want stock length cables, they ask you to buy from XRs Only. But if you want extra length, they will build them for you.

As I recall, they have more than one grade of cable. I found that the more expensive cable made the clutch action smoother. Do not recall the model/name of the different cables at the moment. appt to get to.