Polaris Phoenix 200 for the wife?

I am a dirt biker with a wife that is interested, but just doesn't have the balance or confidence for a dirt bike. However, she is interested in a quad.

From reading the other threads on here the Honda TRX250 seems to be the ATV of choice for the wife. But what about the Phoenix 200? Any experience or thoughts on it?

We will be riding in Washington with me on the bike and her on the quad and not doing anything extreme or crazy.

If she is willing to shift an autoclutch, you are way ahead with the Honda! This is a rock solid and well designed machine, that will run for decades with just regular maintenance. Stock tires are lame however, and need to be replaced with some with a square profile, like ITP Holesots.

The Polaris was cobbed together to create a machine who's target market audience is those who will never ever be willing to learn to shift. Avoid belt drive autos. Ergonomics are terrible.

• 2 months later...

I am not familar with the Phoenix, but was thinking of one for my daughter later.

It just depends on your wife's size, what she will like, and how serious the riding will be.

We are men and often overlook the fact that the things that are real important to us don't make a rats ____ to others... particularly women.

Some will take to ANY ATV.

Others want to turn the key, push the gas and go, park and turn off the key.

Lot's of fun in the middle... but that's all they really care about.

My wife is that way with ANYTHING she drives. She really likes my Polaris Sport 400 because of this. It is a lot of machine for a woman, but she respects it, so it works out great since she likes the automatic.

There is NOTHING wrong with CVT's. And I am saying that, being a guy who hates everything else that is automatic.

My automatic is down now for water pump repairs... and my wife who has refused to even try to drive anything but automatic... well I was able to actually lure her into trying the 400EX. That thing is easy (to me) and it didn't take her long to pick it up.

She scoots around on it just fine now. But is still learning. She doesn't really like it that much in comparison yet. But that is OK with me, because I wouldn't want her to try much of a trail on it. That would be a bad experience.

• 1 month later...

Is it her first quad? I put my fiancé on a 450 wolverine, auto, push button 4x4. I felt as if she had to shift something she wouldn't have fun an give up on riding. An there has been plenty of situations where the 4x4 has came in handy for her since she doesn't ride as aggressive....good luck

Is it her first quad? I put my fiancé on a 450 wolverine, auto, push button 4x4. I felt as if she had to shift something she wouldn't have fun an give up on riding. An there has been plenty of situations where the 4x4 has came in handy for her since she doesn't ride as aggressive....good luck

My buddy put his wife on the 450 Wolv, mostly because she refulsed to shift and he figured 4X4 would be available if she got herself into trouble....and it has worked out pretty well for them.

On the other hand, I don't know what kind of women you guys are hanging out with, but most of the women we ride with are on 400's, 450's, Raptor 700's, and Banshees (all full manual, left hand clutch sport quads), and every one of them would love to be on something faster....