2006 problems

has anyone had problems with the 2006 x? Mine is soooo cold blooded it is horrible. I live in MI and i tried to start it when it was about 50 degrees and it wouldnt start. I changed spark plug, tried to jump start it(dead battery), and theres gas getting to carb with no plugs in vent tubes. so today it is about 80 degrees and it wont start! I am now thinking about selling it so please convince me otherwise. also it only has 160 some miles on it so it is not wore out in any way.

Did you pull the choke on? Also, I had the same problem with my son's bike so as a last resort, before I took it to the shop. I checked the intake and exhaust gaps and found that they were all off spec except for one valve. I replaced the shims and put everything back within spec and the bike started right up.

Is your fuel on? Do you have gas int he tank? Is it really gasoline and not diesel?

Assuming Yes.

KickStart: Try your kick starter. Many times on many bike and in many posts on TT the electric starter doesn't seem to have enough oomph to spin the engine up until its fully broken in. You can even kick it while hitting the starter button if needed.

If still no go.

Spark: Take your spark plug wire off the plug. Get spare spark plug and plug it into the boot. Ground the electrode to the frame and turn the bike over. Do you see a healthy spark?

If good spark.. put the boot back on the spark plug.

Air: Take your air filter off and try to start it.

If still no.

Fuel: You could go the store and buy starting ether or you can just put gasoline in a spray bottle (think stream not spray) and shoot some fuel directly into the carb intake while your turning it over. Be sure to disengage the choke first. It should at least run for a few seconds.

If it starts then you have a fuel/carb issue.

If it still doesn't start...

You may have a bad spark plug. Change it.

You may have to shim your valves.

My 2006 is very cold blooded too, but so are most un-mod Honda bikes that I have owned. My rule of thumb is not to try to ride it until the rads are hot. My engine is stock and starting has only been a problem when I have left gas in the tank and carb. After each ride (and assuming I am not going to ride again for a week or more), I run the carb out and drain the tank. When I am going riding again, I fill up with good major brand 92 octane pump gas.

The next things I would check in order is:

1: valve adjustments

2: gummed up carb

3: Throttle position sensor - RTFM.

Good luck

Is your fuel on? Do you have gas int he tank? Is it really gasoline and not diesel?

Assuming Yes.

KickStart: Try your kick starter. Many times on many bike and in many posts on TT the electric starter doesn't seem to have enough oomph to spin the engine up until its fully broken in. You can even kick it while hitting the starter button if needed.

If still no go.

Spark: Take your spark plug wire off the plug. Get spare spark plug and plug it into the boot. Ground the electrode to the frame and turn the bike over. Do you see a healthy spark?

If still no.

I have done all of this already.

Assuming Yes.

If still no go.

If still no.

I have done all of this already.

Did you check your valve clearances yet? Its not a big deal to check them. If it takes you more than an hour I would be suprised. Shimming takes a little more effort though, but not much.

If your valves are in spec, then its got to be a problem with Fuel, Fire or Air. There isn't anything else really accept possibly the iginition control module. Actually that might be it. Do you know somebody else who has a CRF250 who could loan your theirs for a few minutes..

Its part number 2 in the diagram below. Just behind your right side cover. It would take you 2 minutes to test it and doesn't require any special tools. Also, if thats not it you might try your buddies part 4 Regulator/Rectifier. Thay have been know to go bad on other Honda's like my CBR900RR and usually you are dead in the water like you are now.

14KSC401_KSC4F2600.gif