Sign in to follow this  

rain and goggles and tight stuff

So what do some of you put on your lenses to keep that blurred vision at bay? I have some Rain X, but I've heard NOT to put that on goggles.

I can't see for crap in the rain, I also don't bother wearing my glasses under my goggles in those conditions due to the issue of trying to keep them clear in addition to the goggles themselves. Wearing glasses sucks, at least I don't rely on coke bottle glasses to see, I can see good enough in clear weather without them, just can't read signs until I'm closer.

There's got to be something out there that keeps the lenses water streaked free so you don't end up in a tree.

I grew up in Portland Oregon, so we rode a ton on the rain. I'm talking just fun riding, but I hate to say it, but I rarely wore goggles in the rainy season. I either left lots of distance from those in the group or with my regular riding buddy, rode very close and offset a bit.

Rain-X works just fine. I also like to use Honda polish on my roll off lens. The film won't stick that way.

I switch to the yellow safety glasses with Rain-X on them in the rain. Work great! No fogging, clear and brighten things up.

I sometimes use Safety glasses or ISDT glasses. But most of the time goggles. Treat both with Rain X . DO NOT ALLOW THE RAIN X TO DRY ON THE LENS. Put on tissue and rub on and polish off immediately . I use Scott No Fog Cloth on the insides. Breath on and wipe the fog off and it won't fog anymore.

Dwight

I don't have the total answer to this one. I am interested to see what I can learn from whoever posts. When it is storming lots of times the goggles just get pulled down and I risk getting a branch slapping me in the eyes. . The rainx and some of the stuff posted already helps for the earlier time but not in the long run for me. . Some guys I ride with have a clip with a plastic bag with a clean dry rag to help too. I have seen where guys have taken out the goggle lens and put in screen. You at least get in some eye protection and you don't have to worry about dust. I have a hard time getting used to looking through the screen though. The rider I saw who rides with it says he just has gotten used to it. I pull all the vent foam out from my goggles and pull the mouth vent foam from the helmet to limit the fogging to my eyes. I have never used the roll systems used on goggles so I don't know how those work. I just don't see it working that well for any hard core trail mud riding but I have not used it so I can't really say.

Have you seen this? http://www.habervision.com/product/12013.aspx

Looks like a cool product.

I don't have fogging issues, I have trouble seeing clearly with the rain that's not rolloing off of the outside of the goggles. Kind of like driving down the road without using your wipers with a dirty windshield in the rain without using your wipers.

But the reason I was curious is that when I've applied the Rain X to my windshield, I could drive without using my wipers becasue the rain just rolls off.

I'm going to use some rain X in the future, if it messes up the lense, I'll just get another lense.

for fogging, use dual pane lenses. harder to find but well worth the clear inside of the lens....rain x helps keep the outside clear like others have said.

Joe

for fogging, use dual pane lenses. harder to find but well worth the clear inside of the lens....rain x helps keep the outside clear like others have said.

Joe

I had great results using the double pane on my progrip goggles 1 time. The next rainy time water broke into the lense and the lense was history. It worked great while it lasted but a replacement lense is pretty expensive and I am not confident in it's longevity. What goggles do you use and does it last long?

Rain X on the outside of the goggle, Fog Tech on inside of goggle lens, and, if you wear glasses, Fog Tech on both surfaces of your glasses.

I had great results using the double pane on my progrip goggles 1 time. The next rainy time water broke into the lense and the lense was history. It worked great while it lasted but a replacement lense is pretty expensive and I am not confident in it's longevity. What goggles do you use and does it last long?

hmmm...CANT get any wetter riding conditions than here in Washington state and we ride all year long . i have scotts 83 series ( and scotts makes a replacement dual lens that fits any 80 series goggle). just buy the way less expensive 83, then get the lens separately ( 11-12 bucks) and your total investment is way less than the few goggles that come with duals. by the way i ran pro grip duals for years with no issues too. another trick we use in wet seattle area is to have a spare dual pane one that you also pull the foam out of from around the top that covers the vents. this allows even greater airflow so zero fogging. of course, you only use that pair for rainy conditions because they wont keep out dust in the dry but no big deal.

Joe

I run nothing but clear safety glasses in wet/rainy weather. Take them off when stopping for any length of time.

Give them a try and you'll understand.

Last couple of years, I have been using a Bell full face street helmet rather than an MX helmet and goggles. Vision is far better than when wearing goggles, no stinging rain-in-the-face on road sections, more comfortable. Anyway, I use Rain-X on the outside of the shield, anti-fog on the inside, works great. If the shield does start to fog in really nasty conditions, lifting the shield one click eliminates the problem.