Good buy 96 RM250?

I have seen the following ad locally and im thinking of going for a look

1996 rm 250 just had full engine rebuild cost £725 new clutch plates £60 i have all receipts full fmf gold series race exhaust + spare clutch cable,throttle cable + gear leaver very clean bike very fast. £850 o.n.o

6697872.jpg

6698161.jpg

I have spoken to the seller and said I am only willing to spend £700 and he hasnt told me no so I think i cold get it for that is that a fair deal?. Now I currently have a 1990 YZ250 which im happy with performance wise but its very tatty and becoming difficult and expensive to get parts for (plastics mainly) I have a friend who is willing to buy the YZ off of me so I wont lose much on it. How will this compare to my 90 YZ 250? I dont think i could handle being smoked by said friend on my old bike

Thanks

Scott

The YZ has much smoother power for a 2 stroke. The RM's power band hits harder and more suddenly. As for price... I have no idea if thats fair or not, I'm from Indiana and I just picked 1 up for $850 which is close to £560, but idk how much they go for in europe. If you do get it, i recommend you switch out the carb, cause the PJ38 that is stock is quite finicky

Any '96 250 2 stroke will spank any '90 250 2 stroke, but it's only by a little here and a little there. So it will only be a little bit smoother, and only a little bit better handling and only a little bit more powerful. But once you add all of that up, you will have a much better bike.

Honestly the '96/'97 RM250 was the same bike as there were no changes between these models and it didn't need any as it was well received and well liked. If you can afford to make the up grade then do it!, hands dwn it's way better than your '90 YZ250 will ever be.