BMW 2010 G450x - no ignition switch?

I just came back from a local dealer after looking at and playing with 2010 G450x and I'm kind of surprised that this thing does not have a keyed ignition switch - just a push button.

I've had many bikes in my life, currently I have 2007 G650x Xchallenge and never had a bike that you can start without a key.

I've heard many good things about this bike and I'm thinking of trading in my 650x for it.

The question I have; does it bother any of you that there is no keyed ignition switch on it?

BJ

Beej: If given the choise, I'd probably prefer an ignition switch/lock. But, I try to remember this is an enduro bike that happens to be street legal; not the other way around.

So, what works for me if I want to leave my bike outside the local store for a short visit is to use the steering head lock which is all we have but is very effective. That way, if somebody want to crank up the engine, they won't get too far doing circles in the parking lot! How far is anybody really going to get?

Don't know if this helps but, in summary, I don't stress about it. If the GX didn't at least have the steering head lock, that would be another story.....

Bob in AZ

WhyFly: I think the steering head lock might deter 95% of would-be intruders although I never leave my GX unattended for very long. Have you busted your lock loose to actually test the lock feature? (Remember, the BMW warranty MIGHT fix it for you!)

For my part, my bike slammed down hard off the stand while the lock was engaged & the lock was in-tact afterwards; I think a thief might spend too much time trying to break the lock than would be practical when stealing a bike in public.

I took the original question to be if lack of an ignition switch might be a deal-breaker on the GX. Not for me.....

Bob in AZ

I guess we can't leave the bike out of sight for too long, which in most cases is fine with me. I just hate to see a kid pushing the starter button and let the engine run until it overheats or runs out of gas.

I think an aftermarket kill switch should do the trick.

BJ

cable lock is going to be a much better investment then an ignition switch. However if you are concerned about starting to easily a simple toggle switch could be added to the starter button wire so the the starter will not go unless the toggle is in right position and there is space for such a switch next to the headlight/turn indicators too. I use my bike for a lot of street use, but I don't go too far from it being suited up like a storm trooper (no errands at the mall or dentist or such 👍 )