USA vs Australia

Iv been living in Washington State for about 5 years and stated getting into riding thought some buddy's about 2 years ago i have a 2005 crf250r now i love this bike but im now in the process of moving back home to Australia we have alot of MX tracks and some trails close to my house(nothing as awesome as WA!!) I want to keep riding when i get home cause i love it so much! but my bike that is worth about $3000 here is like a $6000 bike in Australia it sux the new 2010 yzf450 retail for about $12,000 in Australia i would love to know why its so much more expensive to buy a bike there?? which leads me to my question has anyone ever had experience in shipping a bike to a another county if it would be cheaper to ship my Honda to Australia id do it for sure but i bet its not easy???? any ideas?? thanks.

sorry mate cant help answer the original question but i too live in australia and i'm guessing that usa would have awesome riding areas? correct. and yes i too wonder why it costs more here than over in the USA for new/used bikes?

good luck

i went to Renton motorcycles in Seattle and they are having runn out sale on non current models there dude they have 3 brand new rmz450's 08 models going for $3999 this would be an $8000 dirt bike in Australia i really dont get how it can be so much of a difference?? makes me wanna stay here!

OMG, thats amazing, seriously. i got an '08crf450r now and i bought it about 2yrs ago, paid $10955 roughly, and if i was to buy one now wouldnt be much different.

so let me clarify, you can buy an 2008 model rmz450 for $3999, american or oz, suppose who cares its cheap. if i was u, buy it and ship it, cant be that hard

i went to Renton motorcycles in Seattle and they are having runn out sale on non current models there dude they have 3 brand new rmz450's 08 models going for $3999 this would be an $8000 dirt bike in Australia i really dont get how it can be so much of a difference?? makes me wanna stay here!

it has to do with a few things, one is that theres alot more taxes on bikes in AUS, and second is that theres alot more compition in the states, more competion means lower prices, the dollor in aus isnt that far off the greenback atm, the last thing is that the average wage in aus is alot higher then in the states, so everything is more expensive, i know of a few guys that have bikes from the states shipped over, but you will not get them rego'd in aus.

head to www.dirtbikeworld.net and ask the blokes there some questions, i know theres a few guys on there that have shipped mx bikes over.

I don't know about shipping, but I have lived in Washington, I grew up there riding dirt bike's and it has some of the best riding I have ever seen. I miss that awesome dirt, and big hill climb's. I would research into shipping your bike since they seem to be so expensive over there, there has to be a way to do it that isn't to expensive. Good luck, and whatever you do don't give up riding..

The riding in both countries is fantastic and quite varied. Australia is the same size as the lower 48. ranging from tropical, mediteranean, arid, desert, forrest and snow country. The issue with pricing is government stamp duty. If you own and have owned a bike outside of Australia for at least a year, the stamp duty rates apparently fall off significantly. I would get a dealer to give you a quote sheet stating the bikes worth say USD 3500 (3850 Aussie) and use that as the duty yard stick at time of importation. Note it will probably cost a grand to ship it over here, unless it constitutes a part of a larger family removal deal

YEP....your country taxes the heck out of importing bikes. has very little to do with competition. so where does the stamp/tax/duty money go? roads? general fund? welfare payments?

Joe

speed camera's and cop's to ticket you for doing 3 km/h over the posted limit.

YEP....your country taxes the heck out of importing bikes. has very little to do with competition. so where does the stamp/tax/duty money go? roads? general fund? welfare payments?

Joe

health care

Iv been living in Washington State for about 5 years and stated getting into riding thought some buddy's about 2 years ago i have a 2005 crf250r now i love this bike but im now in the process of moving back home to Australia we have alot of MX tracks and some trails close to my house(nothing as awesome as WA!!) I want to keep riding when i get home cause i love it so much! but my bike that is worth about $3000 here is like a $6000 bike in Australia it sux the new 2010 yzf450 retail for about $12,000 in Australia i would love to know why its so much more expensive to buy a bike there?? which leads me to my question has anyone ever had experience in shipping a bike to a another county if it would be cheaper to ship my Honda to Australia id do it for sure but i bet its not easy???? any ideas?? thanks.

I have known people to send over ex factory supermoto bikes from the US and it cost between $1500 & $2200 to do it (there are quite a few factors which change the price). Your 05 crf is probably only worth about AUD $5000 here if your lucky. Just pull the aftermarket parts off you want to keep, sell the bike there and bring the parts over when you move.