Bicycle Computer on a WR

Has anybody done this with success. Looking for one that might work on a WR. I need it mainly for a speedometer and tripmeter. I think the biggest problem might be getting the sensor and magnet to hookup on the front wheel with the suspensions up and downs. Just a wondering if anyone has tried this.

Thanks!

Has anybody done this with success. Looking for one that might work on a WR. I need it mainly for a speedometer and tripmeter. I think the biggest problem might be getting the sensor and magnet to hookup on the front wheel with the suspensions up and downs. Just a wondering if anyone has tried this.

Thanks!

I haven't tried this. However, I have used the trail tech endurance for about $75 with does all that and more. It comes with everything you need to mount it properly to a motorcycle.

You could waste a lot of time trying to make the wrong thing work when you could just get the right thing the first time.

This is what many use for the reasons you stated, I plan to install the one below also.

The wireless version of this does not work well, stay with the wired one. This one will hold your settings ie: wheel measurements when the battery is changed, many lose this, backlight and other useful features. Cost is another, if it breaks, you are not out that much. Wire could be ran along side brake line or if you leave existing odometer, ran down that line.

http://store.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3130705

I don't have a WR, but I did install a Schwinn bicycle speedo on my CRF250x, and it worked great, until about 50mph. It would not register past that. It worked for about 1 year before the battery craped out. I had to splice in some longer wires, but that was easy. I epoxied the small magnet in a brake disc hole and ziptied the other part to the fork leg, but you need to make sure the magnet will not contact the caliper, so do a trial fit first. Good luck.

My experiences mirror ULEWZ's exept mine was set up on a TT-R 250. I used the wheel diameter formula off of the trail tech site and it was surprisingly accurate. Mine did read past 50 mph though. ?

I bought mine at Walmart for $10, so that probably had something to do with it.

Has anybody done this with success. I think the biggest problem might be getting the sensor and magnet to hookup on the front wheel with the suspensions up and downs. Just a wondering if anyone has tried this.
I've researched this idea a little bit, but have yet to take the leap.

Wireless computers don't work well on motorcycles, for whatever the reason. ?

What you'll need is a 'wired' bicycle cyclometer that is designed for a rear wheel sensor placement.

Most wired cyclometers are meant to have the sensor read the front wheel, so the wire is usually less than 30" long. I think you'll find the distance from the front axle to the handlebar on your WR to be in excess of 40", so the extra length in the wire of a rear wheel cyclometer is just the ticket for off-road motorcycles. (I have also heard of a 'long wire kit' that allows you to add length to a front-wheel cyclometer. A decent bike shop would have the best information.)

You can just zip-tie the sensor wire to the front brake hose. I know it sounds sketchy, but it seems to work for KTMs.?

The sensor mounting may take some imagination, but that's the fun part in doing something unique like this. There are different sensor mounts and magnet styles available so, again, a good bike shop should offer some options.

Be sure the cyclometer has the ability to calibrate the diameter (or circumference) of a 21" wheel.

Good luck!

http://www.avocet.com/cyclopages/cyclo35.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-BC1606L-Bicycle-Speedometer-Sensor/dp/B0019H6K6Q