Sign in to follow this  

2005 WR valve check and smoking questions

I'm about to check the valves on my 05 WR for the first time. It's a low hour bike and I figured it's due for a valve check. Reading through the service manual, I have a few questions on the steps they say to do.

Does anyone actually drain the coolant, remove their right radiator and the carb just to check the valves? Physically I don't see why I'd need to remove these things per what the service manual suggests. Is there any reason why I need to do so?

Main reason why I'm checking the valves is a) it's time 👍 I want to make sure I'm not getting some oil blow-by from a valve being too tight.

When I first start up my bike and let it warm up I can crack the throttle a few times and black/gray looking puffs of smoke will happen for the first few throttle cracks. It's not a ton of smoke but it's small puffs. After the bike warms up or I hit the trails by the house the bike doesn't smoke at all. I've heard black or gray smoke means fuel and white or blue means oil. I didn't seem to notice the bike smoke at all until a few weeks ago after a friend let the bike fall on the side of my trailer. Of course it could of smoked before then but I guess I've been more aware of it after the accident.

It's not that big of a deal to me that it smokes so long as it's not anything thats bad going on inside. The reason why I was thinking of oil blow-by is because of it smoking at first and then after warmed up stopped smoking so I'm thinking maybe something is going on with the valves.

Any ideas on the smoking? I dialed back my fuel adjustment screw about a 1/4 turn and that seemed to help some but there is still puffs of smoke. This is both with stock WR exhaust and with my recently new Lexx exhaust. You can see the smoking puffs I'm talking about in my vid I recently did..

I dont think that the puffs of smoke are going to a problem.My bike has done it ever since i got it,and its only when its warming up like your bike.I have over 100 hours on my bike with no problem(JUST got a topend kit for her the other day for peace of mind)never had to touch the valves.As for having to drain the coolant, remove their right radiator and the carb to check the valves,I dont see why you would need to,just the head stays and whatever is in your way.

No need to drain the coolant or any of that stuff. Manual is just telling you how to do it with all the room in the world. Crazy talk!

Assuming your bike is still original, the smoke on start may well be a sign the the the barrel and rings are getting tired. At the top of the barrel, as the piston slows approaching TDC, the wear is a bit higher. The OEM plating is not real durable and tends to wear. Once the engine heats up, the tolerance closes slightly and the smoking goes away. Smoking has nothing to do with valves (unless the guides are worn, very rare these days).

how did you embed the youtube video in your post?

Type in youtube then the special character set for a video that starts after the equal symbol. In this case my video link is

. You need to put brackets before and after youtube like this [utube]eOjllaSUfzw[/utube]. <-I had to misspell youtube to say utube so that you could see the string on how to do it.

Just using youtubes embedding link will not work as you can see from motoxheads's post.

No need to drain the coolant or any of that stuff. Manual is just telling you how to do it with all the room in the world. Crazy talk!

Assuming your bike is still original, the smoke on start may well be a sign the the the barrel and rings are getting tired. At the top of the barrel, as the piston slows approaching TDC, the wear is a bit higher. The OEM plating is not real durable and tends to wear. Once the engine heats up, the tolerance closes slightly and the smoking goes away. Smoking has nothing to do with valves (unless the guides are worn, very rare these days).

As always, thanks William for chiming in 👍. Bike is still on stock internals. I think I have roughly 30 hours on the motor (bought an hour meter after 180 miles were on the bike and it now reads 21 hours @ 510 miles). What all do i need to have done or buy to remedy the smoking? Obviously new rings are in order but what about the cylinder bore? Is it time to start looking at a BB kit?

Yeah I thought it was crazy the manual was recommending pulling the carb and radiator.Crazy talk indeed! 🙂🤣

Such low run time hours makes me wonder though. Unless the orginal owner did a piss poor job at break in (ran the bike real gentle for the first ten minutes or the dealer fired it up and just let it idle a long time), you have to wonder why it has the problem. Smoking like you describe from normal wear on an oem barrel is more like a 150 hour deal. Therefore, I would either just ignore it or replace the rings (give the barrel a real good scotchbrite scrubbing and/or a a gentle ball honing to clean it 100%.

The original owner basically tooled around pastures on a farm to ride along with his young son. It never saw any real dirt or trails. The knurled section on the shifter used to be grass stained if that tells you anything lol.

Thanks again for your input william. It's always appreciated.

That smoke to me looks like its just from the engine warming up. I know on my sons bikes they will do this even with a brand new bike or a fresh top end. Once the bike is warmed up it goes away. That looks like black smoke to me indicating a rich condition. Is this with the choke on? Oh and WIlliam1's post makes total sense too I have just noticed that bit of black smoke on our bikes when cold regardless of what condition the cylinder or piston/rings are in.

The bike is listed for sale unfortunately. I can't afford two bikes and I hate to see the WR go as it's a blast to ride in the woods 👍.

As for the smoke, yeah I am not worrying about it. I think it's just like mentioned, a cold motor. That is the only time it does it and it only lasts within a minute after starting it cold. Once warmed it goes away. It very well could be a rich condition but I've backed off my fuel screw a 1/4 turn and saw some improvement. I guess I could keep tinkering but I'm not worried with it. Bike hauls butt and rides/runs great.