Sign in to follow this  

the dreaded oil change...

If I hadn't needed to remove the bash plate to clean out the clay compacted between it and the engine I'd have been happy to try this.

Which reminds me. It wouldn't hurt to have a supply of brand new bolts lying around. Once again, I had a bolt snap in half just trying to remove it so I could change the oil filter. Had to drill it and ez-out it again. PITA Honda and their crappy peanut butter soft fasteners. Even installed the fasteners at a lower torque spec than what the book calls for the last timebecause this always seems to happen.:lol:

Same here with those crappy oil filter bolts. Luckily it backed out easily for me. :thumbsup: I lowered my torque for those bolts as well.

is not so bad any more.... I dont know why I didnt think of this sooner, but here you go:

lay bike down on right side...

remove oil drain bolt...

insert your spare breather tube (yes, the one for your gas cap), on the engine, it'll screw in, on the tran's, it'll slide in nice and snug

use a spare bolt to cap the open end, then lift bike back up....remove bolt and allow oil to drain into container....

so freakin' easy even a cave man could do it :smirk::smirk:

DSCN1741.jpg

since this has resurfaced I thought Id try to fix the pic, but it wouldnt let me edit, so here's a fresh one...

DSCN1741.jpg

• Like 1

I have used Elmo's excellent technique twice now myself, and would like to make one additional recommendation to the procedure. Before doing anything, turn the fuel petcock to off, and run the bike until the carb is dry. This will prevent gasoline from spilling on your floor when you lay the bike over to insert the tube, and will also warm the bike's oil up somewhat making drainage easier.

Good idea mate.

I tried this trick last service. But it was way too slow to drain. So I just let it get a bit on my bash plate. & cleaned it up. Definitely no need to remove the bash plate.

Did a engine/trans oil change last week using Elmos idea for the first time. Bought 3/8" clear tubing from Ace Hardware real cheap which fit perfect in the engine side but took a little effort to get in trans side. I ended up cutting the tubing at an angle and using a small screwdriver coax it in. Nice thing is you can see the oil as it's draining and I caught some flakey grey stuff comming out of my engine.

Good idea mate.

I tried this trick last service. But it was way too slow to drain. So I just let it get a bit on my bash plate. & cleaned it up. Definitely no need to remove the bash plate.

It is a good idea, and should make many X owners happier about changing fluids.

But on mine, I just leave it on the kickstand, put a drain pan below the case, remove the bolt, and let her drain. Come back about 15 minutes later, re-install the bolt, hit the lowercase and skidplate with some brake cleaner, and add oil. EZPZ as well. :smirk:

I love this Idea cuz I hate taking off the smashplate and trying to get all the oil off of the plate and case. Yes you can use the break cleaner but I like the idea of having a nice clean job done with no extra mess. But heres the "RUB", I have a Flatelands smash plate that will not allow the oil filter to come out without removing the plate or at least loosening it to the point where its almost off anyway.

I really dont want to cut my plate because I dont want to expose my oil filter/case to rocks, so does anyone have a mod for the plate other than cutting it?

IMO it seems like flatelands would have made a better design where you can get the filter out without removing the plate. Dont get me wrong I love my smashplate and shes done her job MANY MANY times as you can see by looking at it, but the filter thing really bugs me!!!

Thanks for the great ideas

HD9

I have a Uk made "Guard it Protection' bash plate (very good bye the way). I had the same problem, but we are talking a few mm's.

Bend the thing a bit!!! Then the filter will come out.

I have a Uk made "Guard it Protection' bash plate (very good bye the way). I had the same problem, but we are talking a few mm's.

Bend the thing a bit!!! Then the filter will come out.

Or use a dremel or air grinder to remove the few mm's.

BTW, by the time i put away the brake cleaner, most of the residue has evaporated, and all is clean. All in all, an oil change on the X is so easy, I don't even think much about it anymore.

As said already.... For sure a GREAT idea... but a slow drainer....

And with my impatient attitude.... (these days) I simply remove skid plate and drain.

HOWEVER, it helps to have a HYDE skid plate.... two 5mm allen bolts, and the skid comes off. About 10 seconds, with finding the allen tool.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9321284&postcount=6

I bought one of those Billy Who Man chu funnels the other day and sent it right back, Piece of crap, mis labeled thing said it would fit the 450x but obviousley doesn't.

For those who are interested: Zeta now makes a magnetic tip stainless steel oil drain bolt. I used that along with a motion pro circular, flat magnet on top of the oil filter to keep metal bits from circulating too much. $12 for that oil filter magnet sure beats $60 for magnetic oil filter cover.

I still use the Billy Who funnel....it needed some "trimming" but it works fairly well. I'm still going to make something that really works with some tubing of some sort and some screw in fittings, like a zerk type fitting.

Great idea!

Now I am going to steal your idea, design anodized "billet" fittings with a steel braided line and

sell it for $100

Thanks

E

To late I saw In the case at a local bike show a few months ago.:thumbsup:

should be to market soon.