Sign in to follow this  

Do I have a RMZ 250 paper weight now? *PICS UPDATE*

Well, I decided to do some trail riding today and came upon a 'what looked to be simple' creek crossing. I started to go across slowly and I was swallowed up by thick sand and mud. I fell off to the left and the bike went to the right. I got up in about 1 second while the bike sucked in water and it died. I pushed the bike to the other side of the creek (it wasn't even deep enough to submerge my boots I'm wearing). I pulled the kick start out and attempted to push it down by hand. Nothing, nadda, zip...it was not budging. I get home pull the plug, drain the oil, tipped it up letting the water drain out of the cylinder and the exhaust. The kick start will not go down by hand. I don't want to put any unnecessary force and break something else. I'm going to tear the bike down tomorrow morning. I have not hydro-locked a motor before. The oil was clean...no water. The cylinder did have water in it until I drained it out. I just dumped a bunch of money into this thing and was running great until this happened. 👍 What things should I look for when tearing the engine down? Bent valves, twisted rod, etc?

P1010242.jpg

P1010231.jpg

Edited by downonmonday

Take the plug out, pull the mag cover off look at the rod. see whats going on. The piston should move freely. If not remove head and cylinder inspect crank more. You could have folded the rod. MX

Edited by mxn4life

A hydro-locked motor isn't locked up because of the water under the piston... it's the water on top that is the problem.

Dive in... get that thing apart before things start rusting.

If the rod isn't bent, you should be fine. It running at idle and hydro-locking shouldn't damage the rod.

If you have to go as far as pulling the motor out to get the top end off and flush the crankcase and transmission... it's still worth it. Just get it done quickly. Rinse and oil all the bearings.

Should be fine.... I put a lot of miles on an 85 YZ250 that I hydro-locked and then let rust...

A hone on the cylinder and a new wrist pin bearing and I was good to go for over 1,200 miles...

And that was re-using the rings 👍 !

Ha... dang 4-strokes...

You could have valve problems... I'll let a 4T guy address that issue.

Either way... get it apart, dried out, and oiled up.

Does it spin over with the spark plug out?

Edited by ORrooster

if it's not turning over with the spark plug out, it could well be a bent rod, i've drowned my KX-f 250 before, after de-watering trailside it did another 60 miles that day, and has done 45 hours now since drowning with no sign of damage.

how the hell did he bend a rod? cylinder filled with water on an upstroke?

eer? i have no clue.

water is a deadly weapon cause its already incompressible, and with 40 horses of preassure on the rod?

i wouldnt be supprised

Duh; I dont know, Whats your grand observation?

"Four stroke fires every other stroke" Intake valves open fills the compression chamber with water compresses with no escape and bam.

Piston dosen't move, I wonder what it could be.

I'm guessing there is catastrophic failure some where along the line.

This is merely a theory based on a discription given. I'm not guarantying any thing, the motor is not sitting on my bench.

we'll see when he gets it apart.

I've seen some pretty incredible sht building motors.

Edited by mxn4life

Duh; I dont know, Whats your grand observation?

"Four stroke fires every other stroke" Intake valves open fills the compression chamber with water compresses with no escape and bam.

Piston dosen't move, I wonder what it could be.

I'm guessing there is catastrophic failure some where along the line.

we'll see when he gets it apart.

I could be wrong, I'm not there working on the bike.

I've seen some pretty incredible sht building motors.

no need to be a &%$#@! about it. technically I already knew and was just wanting it confirmed or not. but thanks for being a smart ass about it and then saying "you could be wrong" 👍 way to contradict yourself mr.know-it-all.

no need to be a &%$#@! about it. technically I already knew and was just wanting it confirmed or not. but thanks for being a smart ass about it and then saying "you could be wrong" 👍 way to contradict yourself mr.know-it-all.

I didn't contradict my self, I know exactly what I'm doing. Do you?

Go jump in it Mr sfw.

I didn't contradict my self, I know exactly what I'm doing. Do you?

Go jump in it Mr sfw.

HUH?? you said...and I quote: "I could be WRONG":banghead: THEN you went and edited those words out instead of apologizing to the guy you dissed....

sheesh....anyone reading your UNEDITED post would see you did contradict yourself immediately after jumping on and mocking the other poster:smirk:

joe 👍

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

HUH?? you said...and I quote: "I could be WRONG":banghead:

sheesh....anyone reading your post would see you did contradict yourself immediately after jumping on and mocking the other poster:smirk:

joe

Every person that replied to this thread with a theory of what failed could be wrong. I merele said it could possibly be some thing else. If you can guarantee you know what happend based on a verbal discrption, like the given YOUR IGNORANT!

I replied to this thread to help a fellow zuk guy out and I get guys like the two of you arguing about who can piss the farthest.

Edited by mxn4life

Well, I'm off to rip the engine apart. I have seen hydro-locked engines before (Dodge Dakota) after going through a creek...bent rods...I'm almost willing to bet the rod is bent. We'll see. lol

Every person that replied to this thread with a theory of what failed could be wrong. I merele said it could possibly be some thing else. If you can guarantee you know what happend based on a verbal discrption, like the given YOUR IGNORANT!

I replied to this thread to help a fellow zuk guy out and I get guys like the two of you arguing about who can piss the farthest.

you MERELY said this in your first 8 words of your "contribution" to this thread : "Duh; I dont know, Whats your grand observation? "( convenient that you fail to mention it now eh?)....i would say that THIS is the sentence that "pisses" us off and not the rest of your assessment. wouldn't it piss you off too if someones FIRST sentence directed at them was that?👍

JoeY

This is what that reply was directed to. Then called me a know it all. 👍:bonk:

Strange when you drained the oil that should have relieved any pressure under the piston.

Please explain how water "UNDER" the piston will cause lock on a Thumper.

Please explain how water "UNDER" the piston will cause lock on a Thumper.

I could happen, you'd be suprized when you drop a bike in the water runing.

Like I said ive seen stranger things.

haha wow mxn4life, you are a true character thats for sure. thats all im going to say.. wow.