Sign in to follow this  

Help a Newbie

Please forgive my newbie questions, I don't really know that much about bikes. I'm alright with the basic stuff, wish I knew more though to be honest. Got to start somewhere though eh?

Anyway, may question is thus. I have an SM with Scorpion exhaust on original header and it sounds completely different to other sound clips of I have heard of the Scorpion. They sound very bassy whereas mine sounds trebley and somewhat like a tinny rattle, just very loud. Any clues as to why? Thanks a lot.

it's probably the camera that causes the sound difference. just don't think about it and go out and ride!

it's probably the camera that causes the sound difference. just don't think about it and go out and ride!

I thought that and took a sound clip with my camera just to check. It seems to be more to do with the bike. I'm not too worried about it for the sake of "looking cool", I'm just worrying that something is wrong with the bike?

Sound clips aren't a good way to judge - everybody's camera is different as well as the machine they play back on - lots of people on the forums acknowledge this...

Stock header? Sounds normal to me. I'm guessing the other clips you've heard include the Scorpion header, which is bigger than the stock.

Got one o' those myself--the Scorpion header, that is. What a piece of crap. Hideous welds and it rusts overnight--I've seen carbon steel stand up better to salt water than this "stainless" thing does to morning dew.

Search the regional forums and find someone near you or a drz group or plan a ride day with some DRZers from TT and see how they sound in real life. I have to say it does sound a little weird but I cant tell if it is the bike or just the clip. Until you stack it up next to an actual bike you will never know.

The stock header is definately more restrictive and will not give you as much of the deeper and throatier sound you seem to be after. That comes with moving more air through your system. Have you done the 3x3 mod and rejetted? I noticed a big difference in sound (and especially performance) after making that inexpensive and easy upgrade.

Search the regional forums and find someone near you or a drz group or plan a ride day with some DRZers from TT and see how they sound in real life. I have to say it does sound a little weird but I cant tell if it is the bike or just the clip. Until you stack it up next to an actual bike you will never know.

The sound clip does sound pretty much exactly the same as the real thing, just quieter.

The stock header is definately more restrictive and will not give you as much of the deeper and throatier sound you seem to be after. That comes with moving more air through your system. Have you done the 3x3 mod and rejetted? I noticed a big difference in sound (and especially performance) after making that inexpensive and easy upgrade.

It doesnt have the 3x3, only the Scorpion end can and K&N which it came with from the dealer. If you watch

this video for example, the guy has the same exhaust with the original header and it sounds a lot different. I've yet to come across another DR-Z which sounds like mine which makes me think something is wrong with it.
Put an FCR and a Yoshi on it and it'll bark....hahahaha

Ha ha, if I had the money 👍

Thanks for the help so far.

God do I feel stupid now 👍

In my defense I bought the bike with the can on it, didn't know it had removable baffles🤣

If I removed it would the fueling need altering?

God do I feel stupid now 👍

In my defense I bought the bike with the can on it, didn't know it had removable baffles🤣

If I removed it would the fueling need altering?

I'm kind of confused by what he means by "removing the baffles" myself. So, don't feel very stupid. Or, rather, apparently we're both stupid.

Dunno about the jetting. Slip-ons alone don't change the flow of an S/SM much. I don't think you'd need worry about it a lot. Getting the bike run on a dyno (with EGA) is cheap insurance against fubar'd jetting, however.

I'm kind of confused by what he means by "removing the baffles" myself. So, don't feel very stupid. Or, rather, apparently we're both stupid.

Dunno about the jetting. Slip-ons alone don't change the flow of an S/SM much. I don't think you'd need worry about it a lot. Getting the bike run on a dyno (with EGA) is cheap insurance against fubar'd jetting, however.

I think you yanks call it a dB killer, right?

I think you yanks call it a dB killer, right?

Oh, that thing. They don't sell it much (if at all) in the states--apparently it's intended to make the can meet some EU spec, right?

Something like that. So there are no laws on how loud the bike is in the 'States?

I`ve just fitted a scorpion stainless half system , ie kept the stock manifold/header.

I have no interest in performance boosting - if I wanted a quicker supermoto I`d buy a Husky, KTM or Aprillia 550.

All I wanted was a better sound than the original , whilst remaining road legal as its a pain removing exhausts for MOT [uK yearly vehicle check]

I know most in this forum love their mods, but the beauty of the scorpion can with the baffle in place is, it wont cook your pistons and valves if you leave the standard jetting in place and dont bugger about with the airbox or changing to free flowing filters.

One comment I would make is, the bike rides better with this simple exhaust swap.

Yes, there is a slight noticable performance improvement, but more importantly its smoother and not so prone to jerky throttle response.

Each to their own when it comes to modifications - my feeling is simply that I`d get far more bang for buck upgrading to a "proper" supermoto if I wanted improved performance, but the Scorpion exhaust is well made and easy to fit.

I`ve just fitted a scorpion stainless half system , ie kept the stock manifold/header.

I have no interest in performance boosting - if I wanted a quicker supermoto I`d buy a Husky, KTM or Aprillia 550.

All I wanted was a better sound than the original , whilst remaining road legal as its a pain removing exhausts for MOT [uK yearly vehicle check]

I know most in this forum love their mods, but the beauty of the scorpion can with the baffle in place is, it wont cook your pistons and valves if you leave the standard jetting in place and dont bugger about with the airbox or changing to free flowing filters.

One comment I would make is, the bike rides better with this simple exhaust swap.

Yes, there is a slight noticable performance improvement, but more importantly its smoother and not so prone to jerky throttle response.

Each to their own when it comes to modifications - my feeling is simply that I`d get far more bang for buck upgrading to a "proper" supermoto if I wanted improved performance, but the Scorpion exhaust is well made and easy to fit.

I prefer the DRZ over an SXV or so purely because of the maintanance, or little of it, which is needed. I use my SM for leisure as well as commuting. It's my only form of transport and I ride it all weathers and have no interest in buying a car. If I tried using an SXV as my only transport I'd end up at the roadside more often than on the road.

Dan , when you look at those video`s , they are all in open spaces , where you are in a smaller space surrounded by high brick walls , it will make a difference to the sound . Try getting a hold of an E header , that will make a little improvement on gasflow aswell as exhaust note , greg

My thoughts exactly - a UK bike mag referred to the DRZ400SM as a glorified commuter bike.

You can view this as an insult, or an accurate statement.

I tend to think its the latter.

If you go too far down the performance route, you end up with the same issues that meant avoiding the hardcore supermotos in the first place.

As far as the noise from the scorpion with the baffle in place, its not that loud , but is a far nicer sound than the standard can.

You could remove the baffle and see what you thought.

To me, that would draw too much attention to me [the noise from a single travels much farther than multis] having fun.

You could as suggested get the matching header pipe - I suspect that would liberate a lot more noise as its free-er flowing ,whilst still allowing you to run standard jetting.

If you are going to do air box mods or run with a free flow filter, mod the jets as described on this forum.

I`m happy with the look and sound of my bike now [always hated the lawnmower noise of the standard exhaust] , and as I use it for work [in a hospital] , being silly loud would just result in complaints.

Our American cousins with their wide open spaces are perhaps more fortunate than the crowded UK in that respect!