Sign in to follow this  

09 450 Newbie ?s

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking for a 450 mx bike to run in desert races Worcs races and the occasional mx race to get experience on the bigger bike. I know i want to get either the Kawi or the Honda. I went to the dealer today and looked at both bikes. The Honda seemed to feel a lot more like my 07 250f which is a honda. I would really like to get the Honda 450 more than the Kawi to stay with Honda but I have a few questions.

I have read both good and bad reviews of the 09 what do you think about your bikes and what should i look for as being a problem?

I am 6 foot 1inch tall and i wiegh 170 how will the honda fit me?

How does the Honda work for Worcs/ Desert Races?

And finally besides the obvoius (more power) how will the 09 450 compare to my 07 crf250r?

Sorry bout the long post

Any Help would be GREATLY apricieated!!!

Thanks

Stock agains stock, I'd say Kaw.The Honda will need to be modified to compete well in high speed racing. Mod against mod would be a tossup. The much lighter Honda seems to tire you out less on long races. The Kawi's suspension is better. The Honda gets the edge because it's far more reliable the Kawi.

Since the 09 came out, I have seen waayyy more Kaw cranks busted than Honda.

Stock agains stock, I'd say Kaw.The Honda will need to be modified to compete well in high speed racing.

What type of mods would i have 2 do to the Honda??

I race WORCS Open B and local level Expert on my 09 CRF—it works great—I race a ton in the desert and ride in it usually once a week. Obviously you'll want a bigger tank, I use IMS. The stock dampner is okay (with heavier oil). If you want some serious high speed dampening you'll need to step up to a real one though. You can add a lot of trick goodies to the CRF because it weighs 10 less pounds than the KAWI.

I'm 6'1" and I could use a taller seat but I haven't bought one.

As you stated, you'll obviously have more power but I think you will be pleasantly suprised. The EFI CRF's are very light and nimble in my opinion. Riding my 09 feels more like a 250F than my other CRF's did because it is considerably narrower and lighter. In the end though; it'll still wear you out more than a 250. The properly mapped EFI model is a beast like most others but I've never thrown a leg over a funner bike to ride.

What type of mods would i have 2 do to the Honda??

Rear linkage, remap ECM, decent pipe with lifetime guaranty.

none race ready and dependale out of crate.

Well i am getting the honda by the end of the month 👍. So when I get it it will have the skid plate and spark arestor installed. I am going to put on radiator braces b4 I ride. Besides these mods is there anything else that i need to go race??

What are you guys doing in regards to the header on the 09/10 models. Im waiting for them to change that because its out in the open and I could see it getting easily destroyed off road and trails etc. Any thoughts?

What are you guys doing in regards to the header on the 09/10 models. Im waiting for them to change that because its out in the open and I could see it getting easily destroyed off road and trails etc. Any thoughts?

I once saw a Lightspeed carbon fiber pipe guard, but i checked thier website and i couldnt find it. What I have heard of a lot of people doing is getting a 2 stroke pipe guard and then modifying it to fit thier bike. Once i pick up my bike I will probably do this to protect the header.

Here are my thoughts; anyone that thinks one of those phony carbon fiber guards is going to do anything is sadly mistaken. They are solely for looks.

I've got over 200 hours on the bike and the header hasn't a ding in it. Only 4 of those hours are on a groomed MX track. I ride the desert and woods a lot every week.

Also, have any of you ever seen a 2-stroke 500??? Those pipes were lower and bigger, yet they were functional. The CRF pipe is small and out of harms way. If you manage to smash up that pipe I bet you'll have much larger problems to deal with.

Its good to hear that the pipe isnt a problem i was somewhat worried it would be. And since all I had found were those carbon fiber guards i was afraid I might have 2 make something. Thanks 4 the info BlindSide.