Sign in to follow this  

California Plating a WR450

I am here alot and never really post, but I have decided I need some help that the search tool seems to be failing:banghead: or I am to dense to figure out:bonk:.

I have an '09 WR450 that I got thinking I was out of the DS realm (my GSA and a dirt bike seemed like a good combo). I am finding that to take my DRZ-SM to DS mode is not what I want to do.

Can anyone provide me with clear assistance on getting my WR plated so I play offroad in more areas and with some of my DS buddies?

Seems like there are alot of scams out there that don't work...

I appreciate the help, and will gladly provide beers for the effort.

BTW, I am sorry if this is another annoying thread.

Thanks!

I can say I have a DRZ SM in DS mode with a 19 inch front end

That is Carb, EPA compliant and stock and meets every standard

as stated by law.

... and mine is setup as a SuperMoto for going to play at Adams and for riding around on local chores. I want something that I can take out without any real work...

Thanks for looking though

You may have issues with 09 450 but maybe the guys from Virgina would be of more help?

Can anyone provide me with clear assistance on getting my WR plated so I play offroad in more areas and with some of my DS buddies?

Thats never going to happen legally and above board here in Ca...

maybe the guys from Virgina would be of more help?

👍🤣:lol:

You may have issues with 09 450 but maybe the guys from Virgina would be of more help?

Wow, forgot to update since I moved... shows how often I actually post.

Just go with craigslist ads.

Prolly have to go special construction which in the end woudl be just as much work as changing the SM back to DS.

I live in CA. I have plated my 01 WR426 back in 02. I tried to plate my 03 WR450F but the VIN number prevents that in CA now, some get lucky and get it by the DMV. So I plated my WR450F in NV. I also have a WR250 that I plated in Utah since I own a second home there. Here are the pluses and misuses.

In NEVADA you will need to install a full dual sport kit (baja kit). Take it to any DMV in NV and they will give you a plate over the counter. You need an address in Nevada to send your first registration. Once you get registration call them up and change your mailing address to CA. They do not care where they send it. Each year you pay your registartion fees and they send you the updated stickers. They don't need to see the bike again.

In UTAH you do not need blinkers, but do need the rest of the dual sport mods. By the way that is a rear view mirror, rear brake light, headlight, horn, dual sport tires. Easily done by buying the few items. Not requiring turn signals helps alot. You need a mailing address in Utah. The down side in Utah is they want to reinspect the bike every two years. But if you like off road trail riding there is no better place to ride, and I have ridden all over, even Africa.

Couple of details, since I am about to close this out.

My prettier component (a girlfriend whose opinion matters) does not want the DRZ to go:foul:. the first time she ever rode a bike was as a passenger with me🤣. The first bike she ever rode... you guessed it (with me on the back since she is super short and could not reach the ground). I have since bought her a TTR125 so she can go play with me on the WR.

Being a woman she can get a little sentimental 👍 and want me to keep the DRZ; and between the DRZ, TTR, WR, GSA, 600RR (TD bike), SuperDuke, Fz1, and multiple project bikes, buying something without selling something is a little silly to me.

Also, the DRZ is special. A couple of years back Yoshimura hooked it up with a nice motor build.

So I have devised a plan:lol: The All bikes will maintain their purpose (for now) and the DRZ will be built out as a DS. I have already ordered a 21' front on ebay for $26+25ship and spent the AM sealing her up for offroad riding, reverting to offroad suspension, and general playing with the other bikes.

Now that I have started my mods All I need is a tank, I am thinking a Clark 3.9gal (really about 4.3). I haven't searched yet, but I need to find out if there is an option to go tubeless on the DRZ, I know alot of SuMo guys are doing it, but for offroad I am not so sure.

Thanks fr the input guys, but I have a plan.... no we are all on trouble.

So I have devised a plan:lol: The All bikes will maintain their purpose (for now) and the DRZ will be built out as a DS. I have already ordered a 21' front on ebay for $26+25ship and spent the AM sealing her up for offroad riding, reverting to offroad suspension, and general playing with the other bikes.

Sorry but the SM has shorter forks, 21 will endo you over the first time

you bottom out. That is Why I have a 19 inch front on mine. I also have a

the only 19 inch front knobby I can find. I beefed up the front end with modified springs, I could not find DRZ SM springs to handle the my pack

and air. I have it set up for a rider weight of 240 (I'm 190). Brakes are great

like this!

I have the 5.9 from the tt store in the rear, the thing works great and is fully legal for all the lurking greenies out there.

Sorry steel, this subject is a subject to greenie searches and monitoring.

Sorry but the SM has shorter forks, 21 will endo you over the first time

you bottom out. That is Why I have a 19 inch front on mine. I also have a

the only 19 inch front knobby I can find. I beefed up the front end with modified springs, I could not find DRZ SM springs to handle the my pack

and air. I have it set up for a rider weight of 240 (I'm 190). Brakes are great

like this!

I have the 5.9 from the tt store in the rear, the thing works great and is fully legal for all the lurking greenies out there.

Sorry steel, this subject is a subject to greenie searches and monitoring.

I rode with steel rain on Monday, and we had a discussion on this... I knew the SM had less travel, but you are saying the 21" tire will actually bottom out on the triple tree when the forks compress? I didn't even consider that...

David; I think the RMZ forks swap with little work... but you would lose your speedo... or relace your "almost free" wheel to a 19" as the other guy did... that'll prevent the bottoming out, and prevent the concern I shared with you on the 17" front tire and some of the stuff we rode... a 17" would get swallowed by some of those gaps we were riding over.