2009 CRF 450 Doesn't start like it used to.

Hey, I've had my 09 CRF 450 for about a year and half but as of late it just doesn't start as well as it used to. When cold, it takes quite a few kicks to bring to life. Before, I'd prime it and it would fire in 2 kicks. Nowadays, it seems to be taking a lot more effort.

Now, the bike was completely rebuilt in Dec/January.

The valves are in spec.

The timing is correct.

It has been properly mapped to match up with my cam & exhaust.

The fuel-pump is new.

The ground seems to be in good shape.

What else could potentially be hindering my cold-starting? I heard someone mention cleaning the injector... what about some other sensors or anything really that I could give a once over???

Hey, I've had my 09 CRF 450 for about a year and half but as of late it just doesn't start as well as it used to. When cold, it takes quite a few kicks to bring to life. Before, I'd prime it and it would fire in 2 kicks. Nowadays, it seems to be taking a lot more effort.

Now, the bike was completely rebuilt in Dec/January.

The valves are in spec.

The timing is correct.

It has been properly mapped to match up with my cam & exhaust.

The fuel-pump is new.

The ground seems to be in good shape.

What else could potentially be hindering my cold-starting? I heard someone mention cleaning the injector... what about some other sensors or anything really that I could give a once over???

Are you using the cold start button?

Welcome to my world

Mine has the same problem

I have new plug

Valves in spec

Cam timing good

Was a killer to start for about 2 months - now won't even run without 1/4 throttle

Runs great from 1/4 to WFO

People on here are saying pump but I'm not convinced

The fuel pump has maybe 6 hours on it now. I've actually got two new pumps (one for each tank). My other one did finally go out @ 207 hours.

I've seen people mention the partially plugged injector on this board... where exactly is it located on the throttle body and what method should I use for cleaning it?

I do have the service manual if that'll help and I should be able to clean it on my own but I just wasn't sure how to go about it.

Maybe I forgot to mention this before but I did do a partial motor rebuild in January; crank, piston, timing chain, etc... so all that should be in good condition also.

No MIL codes are blinking. Maybe I am being picky but it used to fire right up. Now, from time to time, it takes 4-8 kicks and seems harder to start @ higher elevations. Who knows?? I'll bet I do have a partially plugged injector. I'd really like to know how to flush that out.

Yes it did, atleast I believe it did.

After cleaning the injector last weekend I put everything back together, threw the tank back on, and it fired right up.

I left it alone until tonight, gave it a few easy primer kicks and it fired up on the third stroke. That's the way it used to start up for me (2nd or 3rd kick).

I think Sunday will be the real indicator though—I'll be riding at 4000 feet.

Have you tried to clean your injector yet?

It sucks that you are struggling with the bike. I know the feeling. I lost 5th gear in this bike 2 times in 2009. I really enjoy riding and racing with this bike but there have been some trying days with it.

Have you looked to see if the IAT sensor inside your airbox is clean and clear of debris?

Another interesting thing about my bike yesterday... we'd stopped after riding quite some time and someone mentioned that my shock was leaking. I looked down to discover that a bunch of oil had puked out of my filter from the overflow. Turns out that I've got a leaky injector and ofcourse it dumped a substantial amount of gas into my crank which raised the level and caused the puking.

How frustrating is that? I just had the injector off for a cleaning last weekend—wish I would have known then. Unfortunately, I had smelled gas in the oil a few weeks back and even noticed some behind my filter and a small trace on my swingarm. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I could've saved myself some time if nothing else.

have a 09 crf 450r over a year now,after 40 to 60mins if continuos riding opening it up to full throttle it falls on its face,idle and some mid range throttle still works, is this fuel pump or coil or what??

have a 09 crf 450r over a year now,after 40 to 60mins if continuos riding opening it up to full throttle it falls on its face,idle and some mid range throttle still works, is this fuel pump or coil or what??

probably filter. try that first. it happened that way to my sons and i cleaned it and its been good since. 160 hours on the meter. but i would recomend replacing it instead of cleaning it.