Sign in to follow this  

Idaho St Anthony closure question

When St Anthonny dunes are closed up till April 30 do they close all of it or just a section? If some sections are kept open is it worth still making a trip down. Really hard up to ride!! Thanks.

If I were you I would call the Bureau of Land Management regional office in Idaho Falls the phone number is (208) 524-7500 I live about 2 1/2 hrs. from there and we still have too much snow to ride. Hope this helps.

We werent planning on heading down for a couple more weeks and were hoping the snow would be gone by then. Thanks

for the onfo, we will try giving BLM a call.

They close the dunes in the winter??? why? isn't that the best time to ride them?..... I guess I'm a little fed up with BLM and how they are closing trail after trail here in the Owyhees per the new travel plan?

They close the dunes in the winter??? why? isn't that the best time to ride them?..... I guess I'm a little fed up with BLM and how they are closing trail after trail here in the Owyhees per the new travel plan?

I think one of the big reasons for the winter closures is that area winters alot of elk. There is also a wilderness study area there:banghead: Idaho doesn't need any more wilderness ever. Also that part of Idaho can get some serious winter weather, so even if it was open, it might be tough to ride. I agree with you about all the closures, it's one thing if they have a legit reason, but closing areas just because they can is B S.👍

I grew up in St. Anthony. The whole area north west of St. Anthony is closed to all motorised travel every winter because its elk winter habitat. I have never seen an elk on the dunes but thats how it has always been.

I live about 40 miles from there. This last weekend was the biggest snowstorm of the year, (first real wind) but in a couple of weeks the snow will be gone and you should be fine.

Didn't you guys know that elk love to chew on sand in the winter?