my new (to me) track-building machine

I've been wanting my own track-hoe for quite a long time.

I found this Hitachi EX120 that has all the attachments I need (3' bucket shown in the video here, a 2' "extreme rock bucket", and a rock hammer), drove 9 hours, looked at it and filmed it in action, then drove 9 hours home, then decided to buy it.

I'll have it in about two weeks...It's the second most expen$ive thing I've ever bought...Yippee!!

My home track is gonna be AWESOME someday...

Randy

Edited by CRF2eR
to embed the youtube video into the thread

I agree. Unless you have another use for it it wouldn't be my first choice for full time track maintenance. I have built quite a few tracks and have a good sized one at my house. A dozer with a six way blade is the ubiquitous track tool. Having a front loader to move dirt is also almost a necessary. I have rented a track hoe for projects but didn't like it for serious builds. I have a Case 450 now that works great. That said, you learn to use whatever you have...................

I agree. Unless you have another use for it it wouldn't be my first choice for full time track maintenance. I have built quite a few tracks and have a good sized one at my house. A dozer with a six way blade is the ubiquitous track tool. Having a front loader to move dirt is also almost a necessary. I have rented a track hoe for projects but didn't like it for serious builds. I have a Case 450 now that works great. That said, you learn to use whatever you have...................

Yes, you're right about needing a dozer and bobcat for help in making my track.

I didn't mention that I already have a really nice Deere 350D dozer that has a 6 way blade, and I'm looking now for a deal on a bobcat loader too.

The trackhoe will be used for help in removing the large trees and their stumps that need to be removed to make room for my new runway I'm putting in near my homesite, loading dirt from one part of my property into a dump truck and depositing it where I need it for my track jumps and other track features, driveway improvements, a portable crane for help in building my new house and shop buildings, etc etc...

I rented one like this (same model, at a cost of$500/day ) last spring for two days, and was amazed by how handy it is around my place. I could pick up whole oak trees out of the ground, stump and all, and carry it to where I wanted to cut it up.

I think I got a good deal on this piece of machinery. The seller was asking $35,000 for it (and all it's attachments), and I believe it's worth it due to all the extras it comes with and it's overall great condition. He dropped the selling price $2000 last night to help cover the loan's "closing costs" of $4800.

It's the first loan I've taken out in more than 20 years, and even tho I've enjoyed being debt-free since I paid off my place 5 years ago, the use of this awesome machine without having to rush the job and not having to return it will be worth making $$ payments for a while again.

It's going to be a loooooong two weeks, while I'm waiting for it to be delivered...

Randy

Where are you in Oregon? I'm in the Portland area. What type of bobcat are you looking for? I have a T-300 for sale if you're interested. Need help building your house/ shop???

I have a small hoe and it is amazing how versatile they are and how much you can do with them. You'll love that Hitachi.

You mentioned a runway- you building a private strip on your place?? My neighbor has his own strip and keeps his plane on his property- very handy.

Sounds like you've got a great project in front of you.?

Where are you in Oregon? I'm in the Portland area. What type of bobcat are you looking for? I have a T-300 for sale if you're interested. Need help building your house/ shop???

I have a small hoe and it is amazing how versatile they are and how much you can do with them. You'll love that Hitachi.

You mentioned a runway- you building a private strip on your place?? My neighbor has his own strip and keeps his plane on his property- very handy.

Sounds like you've got a great project in front of you.?

It'll be a while before I'll be able to afford a nice bobcat like yours (having just bought this trackhoe). When I'm ready to buy that nice of one, I'll be sure to check if yours is still available. Are you willing to rent it to me for a week or so this spring?, or better yet, help me with my track some using it?

Here's an aerial view of my place, looking North. You can see the Willamette valley to the left of the photo is all fogged in. My temporary house is the little white dot right in the middle of the photo. I already have a runway on top of the hill (and I'm building a hangar up there right now), but I want one down by the house so I don't have to take a milelong dirtbike ride to the top of the hill every time I want to fly.

prototype257.jpg

I have 1300 vertical feet from the top of my property to the bottom of it, and it's covered with fir, oak, maple, and pine trees. This track-hoe, along with the dozer, will help create a most excellent natural motocross track on my place...

Randy

Edited by CRF2eR
typo

Here's an aerial view of my place, looking North. You can see the Willamette valley to the left of the photo is all fogged in. My temporary house is the little white dot right in the middle of the photo. I already have a runway on top of the hill (and I'm building a hangar up there right now), but I want one down by the house so I don't have to take a milelong dirtbike ride to the top of the hill every time I want to fly.prototype257.jpg

I have 1300 vertical feet from the top of my property to the bottom of it, and it's covered with fir, oak, maple, and pine trees. This track-hoe, along with the dozer, will help create a most excellent natural motocross track on my place...

Randy

I know, right! When I want to fly I take my segway from my bedroom to my hallway where I take an elevator down to my garage, proceeding via segway to my limousine, which takes me a hundred meters down my driveway to my dock. I then cruise by yacht to a dock closer to my air strip, where my helicopter and pilot already have the chopper warmed up. The chopper takes me up the mile rock face to the air strip, personal jet primed and prepped for my arrival. And some people think just flying is good enough! Shame on them!

? jk dude, I'm about to move to that foggy valley to "help" you break in those natural tracks. ? Your property has so much potential! You are one lucky guy!

if that thing ran a rock hammer,you dont want it.

Yes, it comes with a nice big rock hammer, but the hammer hasn't been used much on this trackhoe. I have some real rocky spots on my place that need to be knocked down, so having this feature will be most useful for me. The rock hammer quick connects to the thumb's hydraulics, so hook-up and use is quick and easy.

The previous owner has been very good with maintainance on this 4900 hour machine.

Randy

It'll be a while before I'll be able to afford a nice bobcat like yours (having just bought this trackhoe). When I'm ready to buy that nice of one, I'll be sure to check if yours is still available. Are you willing to rent it to me for a week or so this spring?, or better yet, help me with my track some using it?

Here's an aerial view of my place, looking North. You can see the Willamette valley to the left of the photo is all fogged in. My temporary house is the little white dot right in the middle of the photo. I already have a runway on top of the hill (and I'm building a hangar up there right now), but I want one down by the house so I don't have to take a milelong dirtbike ride to the top of the hill every time I want to fly.

prototype257.jpg

Randy

Your place looks great! Send me a PM and we'll exchange info. I'll definitely come help you with your track when you're ready. I can bring my bobcat down and I also have tons of seat time in a trackhoe and could help with that too. This is all assuming I can help test the new track!?:thumbsup: Congrats!

Nice lookin machine man! I use to use a Case 9030 with a thumb, about the same size as that one.. I use to grade out city lots after house's were demo'd. Get yourself a 2' tall x 10" wide x 8' long I beam from a scrap yard, clamp that sucker down and start grade'n.. There so nice to work with. I had one that I cut a bunch of V's out of so one side with a torch so had a serrated edge on it and left the other side flat.

I miss runnin heavy equipment