Sign in to follow this  

Strange sticky syrup at bottom of my carb

I just got back from riding home from work and was feeling my bike up(because my bike likes me touching it) and noticed goo like substance on the bottom of my carb bowl. I didnt really smell like gas, but it wasnt oil. It was brown and was sticky. I just rebuilt my carb and polished the outside last month. I didnt think fuel could varnish up like that so quick, could it be true?

How old was the gas?

Side story for you: I bought some trick fuel from a local shop for my yz125 back in the day. I put the gas in, tried to start her up, and she wouldn't start. I pulled my carb apart, it was varnished as hell, but it was a chalky orange color. So I cleaned it out, put it back together and tried to start it again. Nothing. Once again, pull the carb apart and it was "varnished" again. So I got curious and drained some of the gas into a mason jar. The gas looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. It had paint floating around in it that obviously wasnt the same consistency as the fuel so it looked marbled almost. Turns out the fuel was from the bottom of the barrel. Big pain in the arse.... What I'm trying to say is check your fuel also.

Edited by IronSteed450

Did you service your air filter? Maybe extra oil dripped off the filter and made its way to the carb?