Sign in to follow this  

Should I get a DRZ 400sm or a gsxr 600?

Sorry for posting this in the DRZ forum, and not in the "what bike should I get" forum. But, I wanted to talk to people who actually have experience with DRZs and maybe with crotch rockets.

So, I know the DRZ has a bullet proof motor, but that's not my concern.

My concern is I live in a small town, but will take longer commuter trips on it.

Is the DRZ suitable for longer trips? Is it comfortable, or would I have to buy a new seat? Is going 70 mph for 3 hrs harsh on the motor?

I know the DRZ will be an absolute blast in town but I'm just concerned when I go on trips. Should I shoot for a DRZ, or go with a gsxr instead? Im leaning more towards the gixxer. But maybe you can talk me out of it.

Thanks

the DRZ if not set up for runing 70mph for 3 hours --- but it can do it all day long

wuth the DRZ SM I have I find my sell injoying 3 to 5 hour rides taking the back roads avoiding the 70mph interstats

in town the DRZ rools it is so much fun

Were you going to buy new or used?

If new go for the drz, if you go used go for the drz!

For the price of a new 600 you can mod out a 50hp lean mean SM. Way more fun!

I owned a DRZSM for exactly 4 months, traded it in for an 1125r buell and never looked back. I thought I'd like the supermoto lifestyle, but quickly got bored with it. There is no substitute for the power of a sportbike, and that is what I needed. I will say that the thing railed in corners, but the buell is no slouch either... My 2 cents.

It's been said before and I'll say it now

it's more fun riding a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow

No offense to sport bikes what so ever but I just happen to agree.

Get the gixxer.

Yes for a single cylinder motor the drz is bullet proof. But compared to the gixxer as far as overall engine life is concerned, well you can't compare them! I only say this because your statement about 3 hr commuting. With preventative maintenance and proper setup the drz may handle that the first year.... You will get very tired of not being able to pass cars quickly at highway speeds + getting beat up by winds at those speeds well before your bike wears out.

I have both, well just got the DRZsm 2 days ago. I have to say that neither of these bikes are suited to go 70mph on the freeway for 3 hours, they both get uncomfortable and boring as hell!

You should be looking for something with a larger motor and a better seating position, some type of sport touring bike maby.

I don't know that 3 hours on the slab on a GSXR would really be an improvement over a DRZ. Would you rather ride a rail for 3 hours, or be stuffed in this little box for three hours?

Have you considered something like a Versys 650, or an SV650?

Get both.

Btw. the gixxer 600 is a bit "stressful" on longer trips , go for a 750 or 1000 .

LOL, the buel 1125 is considered a sport bike?

For a 3 hour commute I'd get a used FJR1300 or ST1300, or dare I say it, maybe even a Wee Strom. The SM and Gixxer are great bikes, but not really made for that. Can you do it? Yes, but I don't think they're the best bikes for it.

I have 28,000 + miles on my SM and I beat on mine all the time from single track to the kart track and all in between and I always have a huge smile on my face...

People seem to forget that the DRZ SM is still a dirt bike..not made for comfort.🤣

" you can put street tires on a Dirt bike and it's still a dirt bike, you can put dirt tires on a Harley...it's still a Harley"

I do 500 mile trips on mile all the time and it's not that bad. I had a GSXR750 and my back would kill me after 200 miles. The Z kinda makes you tail section sore the first few times doing long rides down the freeway but you do like anything else get used to it.

As stated above...it's not a triple digit machine....it's a "DIRT BIKE" but the fun factor weather you get the DRZ SM or another SM can't be compared ot any other bikes on the road... IMO 👍

I really don't care for freeway rides on my S. The wind get's kind of tiring if you know what I mean.

well if your main goal is the commute, than the gixxer is the hands down best decision , i have a gsxr 1000 and a drz and an rm 250 . the gsxr gets used on all road duties, the drz gets most of the in town riding/ trail rides, and the rm is used alot less now that i have a drz, but it gets the hardcore stuff. id say if you have to use a commuter bike, get the gsxr , they are a blst to ride and the milage on my 1000(06) is very close to 50mpg w lots a fun in the mix

For a three hour ride, neither of these bikes is best, but the GSXR would be the better of the two. If you're really going to spend a good portion of your time on the freeway, get a different bike.

That said, for the last year I've owned a CBR1000RR and a DRZ400SM, and found that I rode the DRZ 90% of the time. I loved the CBR and it's speed was still mind-blowing. However, as 707 said, it's more fun riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. I've been riding street bikes since the 80's and the DRZ is all the bike I need right now. The CBR was great, but it just collected dust.

I owned a DRZSM for exactly 4 months, traded it in for an 1125r buell and never looked back. I thought I'd like the supermoto lifestyle, but quickly got bored with it. There is no substitute for the power of a sportbike, and that is what I needed. I will say that the thing railed in corners, but the buell is no slouch either... My 2 cents.

They are slouches - there was one at adams motorsport park and it couldnt keep up with the stock DRZs in the (short) straits 👍

That said, a gsxr cant be all that comfortable for the long haul either - id get something more road oriented like an SV650, Versys, ZZR600, FZ6, etc.

They are slouches - there was one at adams motorsport park and it couldnt keep up with the stock DRZs in the (short) straits 🙂

I remember that, Scott.👍 I think he overshot one of the turns, and laid it down softly in the dirt.

It was nice to see it out there, running with us though.🤣