how much does powder coating weigh

Its not much, I think a guy on here who does PCing on bikes said it was under 4 ounces however thats 4 ounces of unsprung weight. The equivalent of 28 ounces of sprung weight or almost 2 pounds. I've also never under stood the whole theory as to why 1 pound of unsprung weight equals 7 pounds of sprung weight

so many people worry a bought saving weight but the truth is you could spend thousands of dollars saving 10 pounds. then you gain 20 pounds of mud during your moto.👍 If it looks good it can only make you faster:thumbsup:

Its not much, I think a guy on here who does PCing on bikes said it was under 4 ounces however thats 4 ounces of unsprung weight. The equivalent of 28 ounces of sprung weight or almost 2 pounds. I've also never under stood the whole theory as to why 1 pound of unsprung weight equals 7 pounds of sprung weight

I think it has to do more with cars where you can save hundreds of pounds of weight and it also helps the suspension and handling more than it helps tip speed and laptimes.

you wouldnt notice a faster 1/4 mile time but around a flat track you would have faster times in a car, not sure if its the same as having it on a dirtbike.

think of it like this... imagine having cement tires that weighed 50 lbs each. how much power would the engine put out at the rear wheel then? the bike would be slow as hell...

now imagine having complete carbon fiber tires that weighed 7 lbs each.. how fast those bad boys would spin and how little resistance they would create?

I know its not the most scientific answer, but it helps gets the point across.

as for powdercoating, its virtually nothing. 4 ounces is insignificant and the average rider wouldnt even notice the difference. hell I doubt even a pro or a dyno machine would pick up a 4oz drop in the rear wheels weight.

like csc616 said, by the time you hit 1 mud puddle, or do 1 lap the amount of dust and mud on your dirtbike would more than make up for that 4... or 28 sprung ounces.

if youre so concerned about shaving weight.. avoid the mud puddles, run with a half tank of gas, and start hitting the gym!