Oil check bolt completely inaccurate - carfull

a friend of mine says I add too much oil each change. He is right, I add a full quart and change my oil every race 08-09 rnz 250. No biggie, but one day i decide too pull out the check bolt and like 500 CC's comes out! I was like wow, i really had too much in there? but then for giggles, I drop the drain bolt (this was a fresh quart of motul sythetic, dripping down the skid plate, wasted) and like 250 cc's come out (just estimating)

If i didnt check that I wuld have toasted the motor. I also had both wheels on the garage flooor and bike strait up when i checked it.

Becareful, i guess i could have done somethinig wrong, and i did have the rekluse clutch cover on it, but never the less, if you leave the check bolt out, u could drain TOO much oil

There's a couple drain bolts besides the main... not saying I'm all knowing, but being new to the race thumpers, I followed the tech manual just to be sure. There's the main at the back pointing toward the rear tire, then two on the fly wheel side. One for the strainer is the large one (14mm head, iirc), then a small allen head just forward. The book had me pull the small allen and the main, as well as the timing inspection plug... I assume as a vacuum breaker. I also decided to pull the strainer to see what it looked like after break-in. There's quite a bit more oil than I would have thought coming out of the small allen. The strainer had probably about 100cc. I do not know exactly how much came out in all, though.

I put in around 900cc then checked the tell tale. I will say that the tell tale bolt hole was pulled and you're right, it seems like it leaked a lot more than it should, but not 500cc. I'm not sure how Motul sells their oil, but it appears that some Euro brands go by liter (1000cc) rather than quart. A quart, being only 946cc's, would put you right at the recommended level with a filter change.

BTW, It's 950cc with the filter change, 900cc without, 1000cc with engine work.

-Kerry

You can't use the fill to spill level plug accurately when cold. The manual says something like this - your supposed to remove it and check to see if oil wants to flow out, if no then top up till it does. If yes then put the plug back in and start the bike, let it idle on choke for 2-3 mins till warm. Then let it sit for 1 min to settle the oil level, then check it again and top up if needed, drain if too much. If you remove that oil screen don't tip the bike to the right (i.e lean it against a wall) or the oil will run into the oil transfer gallery along with any particles. I personally stick a magnet up there during an oil change and cover my eyes for a minute before looking to see whats on it!

That sounds correct, but I dont recall seeing that in the manual....

It's in my manual, they say the check bolt is to only check oil FLOW not LEVEL, if the flow is weak, add an adequate amount of oil (100-200cc's) and check and repeat if necessary. They made Suzuki's dummy proof compared to my Honda, the honda always needed exact amount of oil, otherwise it would run like crap, thats probably what happens with two seperate cambers but whatever. What I love about Suzuki is you just get a litre dump it and forget about it, also one thing I do when changing and have the plugs out is press down on the kickstarter a couple times with your hand to pump some more old oil out, and let it sit overnight before putting everything back together.