Please talk me out of this!

For some time i have been think about building a full race yz125. A mid 90's one. Is it worth it? The things i will do is basically build it into a factory bike of that year. Things i will do are a hot rods crank and connecting rod. Bore out to 135 or so. Powder coat all the fun stuff. Period correct pipe and silencer. period correct rims and hubs. Should i build a older one? Should i go 250? is it worth doing.

For some time i have been think about building a full race yz125. A mid 90's one. Is it worth it? The things i will do is basically build it into a factory bike of that year. Things i will do are a hot rods crank and connecting rod. Bore out to 135 or so. Powder coat all the fun stuff. Period correct pipe and silencer. period correct rims and hubs. Should i build a older one? Should i go 250? is it worth doing.

If you have one of those bikes, and you want to keep it around, just have the suspension done, put a new stock top end and crank in the bike (wiseco cranks are great), gear it properly, install new tires, jet it, and most of all, replace the front brake system with a 2006+ Honda CRF250/450 brake.

Those "super cool mods" like big bore kits aren't what makes a bike fast, its the little things like fresh tires, good suspension, spot on jetting, the right gearing for the track, a clean air filter, good brakes, etc.

If you want more power, increase compression with a head mod and run race gas. Then retard your timing a few degrees and get your jetting dialed in. A basic big bore kit can't match the crisp response of a well tuned stock engine.

I am doing it right now on a 99' 250.....minus the period correct part. I am finding that it is really not very expensive, and in the end....I will have what I want and when I am putting time between me and the pack on an old bike it will taste that much better. of course if I flop, I can blame it on old technology......hehe:busted:

Good example... I have a buddy with a 2003 YZ250F bored to 280cc. I have another buddy witha bone stock 2008 YZ250F with low-ish hours. The 280 clearly has more power. It's not even close... but the suspension, handling, and feel of the 2008 makes it a way faster bike. There's like a 5 second per lap deficite when I ride them.

I ride and race a 2002 YZ250... that will soon change. I can afford any bike I want now that I'm a civilian again and have a good paying job. I'll be buying a brand new 2010 or 2009 YZ250 as soon as I find one. They are better bikes. All the small changes add up to a big improvement... it's called refinement.­čĹŹ

I disagree, I have an 01 yz250 that I have been slowly rebuilding into a new feeling race bike. I have ridin many newer yz250's and since I have changed out all my bearings and controls so there nice tight and new I feel my bike rides even better then the aluminum frame yz's. But thats just my opinion.

Neat idea, but go back farther and do a project with a first yr monoX or Fullfloater, that would be tre cool . Your project reports would be filled with tales of getting bucked off or burnt by pipes that stick out in weird places... Good luck. Actually if you could get an early watercooled bike up to snuff that would be awesome, I think Yamaha had one either 79 or early eighties that had the rad just under the bars!