Sign in to follow this  

Overtightened and broke the throttle cable during fcr swap, now what?

Hello im hoping someone can help me. I was doing my fcr conversation today, after 5 hours and afew hurdles such as the air boot and getting one of the throttle cables off I though I was going pretty well as I have no mechanical knowledge. So I was putting the throttle cable and tightening it for the new carb and I think I may of overtightened as the threaded bolt bit snapped right off. Woops 👍.

Now what do I do? Do I just have to order the a new throttle cable or what?

Here is a pic, overtightened and the threaded bolt snapped in half

2utgoyh.jpg

to order a new cable would be your best and safest option. but what cable was it the pull or the return cable?

to order a new cable would be your best and safest option. but what cable was it the pull or the return cable?

not to sure the pull I think? Ive managed to fix it ghetto styles. 👍 I took some more pics

You can see its all good now except for the threaded bit which is against the throttle wheel in this pic. I managed to just get it in.

vdpldx.jpg

I can move the dangling bit back ontop of the black plastic stuff on the throttle cable, might just glue it in place and it should be all good and save me buying a new throttle cable

amdtt2.jpg

It is possible to cut the broken piece off. It is possible to not use the return cable at all. Either would be better than what you are doing. With your current situation, you run the risk of jamming the throttle - not good.

buy a new cable. only safe way to go. there cheap. you cant fix your old cable and trying to may jam the throttle giving you cheap cruise control (or uncontrol)

cheers for the response. ive super glued the broken piece on so I can at least commute on the bike. ill get a new throttle cable during the week.