Sign in to follow this  

DRZ FCR-MX pilot circuit - needle diameter

1)year/make/model: DRZ-SM K8

2)conditions (elevation,temp,humidity if extreme,type of riding: effectively sea-level (~1000ft); summer temps up to 115 (currently 95F); all round commuting/fun - trail riding

3)modifications (pipe,air box,motor): Pro-Circuit T4 open system; TT FCR-MX; 3x3; stock oiled air filter

4)current jetting:

MJ-160

MAJ-200

PJ-45

PAJ-removed

EMN-3

Merge extended fuel screw

5)running issue that is trying to be cured

a) Surging (not quite sure about the terminology - I believe its running rich) at constant throttle - 1/8 to 3/8.

🤣 Fuel screw not responding as expected.

History- I installed the carb last winter (40-60F) and the bike was awesome.

As last summer approached the surging appeared and by mid summer (above 100F) the bike was running like shit at any constant RPM below 1/2 throttle. The bike would also idle with the fuel screw at 0 turns! I changed to EMR-3 and 42PJ and it was much better - though I was never completely satisfied. The bike still idled with the FS at 0.o1 turns!. I changed back to EMN-3/45pj for the winter but now with spring (90 and rising) the surging is beginning to reappear.!!

In fact, I could not 'kill' the bike with the fuel screw all the way in even with the 42PJ in mid winter..!

I took the courage to start this thread after spotting this from Eddie in the DRZ forum (recent Leak jet thread):

your issue currently is the EMR has to lean of a straight diameter work with out the pilot air jet.

Don't know if i'm mixing things up but, what should I do?

w/EMR Should I replace the PAJ (doesn't this make the idle circuit leaner?). What pj would I then need, 40?

Whats wrong with my pilot circuit?👍

Carb has been cleaned several times, valves are in spec,

Thanks in advance,

I hope to get this sorted!

turn idle speed down as low as the motor will stay running when hot and redo the fuel screw test.

Will try again as soon as I get the chance as its been a while. When I last did it, fully warm bike - 60F weather, I got peak idle as described in the sticky at 1/2 turn w/ the 42pj. This didn't make any sense based on what i've been reading on the forums. Hardly anyone uses a 42 PJ, let alone it still be rich .?

I have been using the 45 at 1turn in fear on being lean

brand new (now 15 months old) FCR-MX from TTstore