Good tires for the desert

I ride in the desert, it takes me 10 minutes to ride out of my garage and make it to Red Sands (El Paso), with many trails in between. I have a pretty good playground. I bought my bike a few weeks ago with almost new Maxxis Sur-Cross ST's. Obviously they aren't the best. The rear tire is actually okay except in the softest stuff but the front washes out pretty bad. Not looking for paddle tires because alot of the trails are hard packed sand. Any suggestions? Also, when I'm going really fast I'll get some wobble from the bars, sometimes it gets a little hairy and I have to back down. I assume a damper would help that?

Maxxis IT rear Maxxis IS front. I would not use either on an MX track adn the 756 front is great for like 2 hours then the traction falls off a cliff. The 952 does in fact wear pretty well bit it is no Maxxis IT. I currently use 952 rears for the track. I would use the 952 off road if it was more sandy, in AZ it is more rocky so the IT performs better. Just look at the tread pattern and you'll see why.

Pre 09 450's are knows for being very stable. Great desert bikes. Check fork springs they may be too soft allowing you to run low in the stroke. perhaps Lower the fork tubes they may have been raised. Set your sag dead nuts and keep your weight back when hauling ace.

Good luck!

ebeck speaks the truth. the maxxis desert IT is tough tough tough, and gives excellent traction in the desert. the maxxis SI is a good front tire.

i currently have the dunlop 952 on the rear, and it's sliding around every time the bike leans over a little bit. i'll be going back to the maxxis as soon as it wears out. it's still a good tire, just not as good as the maxxis.

for AZ, the maxxis desert IT rear/SI front is a good combo.

Edited by kskyles
misspelling

I use the Scorpion XCMS not the MXMS for the front. Best front tire for west coast tracks period. Funny thing is the XCMS is an "enduro" tire.

952 rear and XCMS front is great fore west coast tracks.

If someone told me the XCMS was magic in the desert I would believe it. Never tried it in the desert so I did not comment on it but I believe it.

What about the Maxxis SX? I kno its a mx tire but its 4 hardpack. The only reason I ask is i got 1 for free a couple weeks ago, and i was wondering if it would work in the desert for when i get my 450.

i've never tried the maxxis SX. isn't it new for this year? i'm hoping someone here has tried it out.

if it was free, then throw it on there, then come back here and educate us 👍

Edited by kskyles
edit