Sign in to follow this  

rebuild questions. what do you reccomend?

Hi im a avid lurker not so much a poster. i just bought a 2004 crf 250 all bearings were tight on the bike started second kick and purred like a kitten. but i am aware of the valve problems theses bikes have. I can tell from all the paint wore off each side of the motor from boots rubbin that the bike does have some time on it. I have some extra cash laying around so i was going to order a stainless steel valve kit and a new piston kit. and have them put in the bike before the inevibidle (sp) happens. you guys are all pretty smart and have went through this before, so what are your guys reccomendations. as in the valve kit and piston kit and anything else i have to replace while its apart.

thanks James

James,

Use a good quality piston like a JE, Moose (CP) or something of that nature. Valves are all pretty good when it comes to stainless. Definately a timing chain and a decompression spring. Crankshafts are always questionable, specially if you don't know how many hours are on the bike. Something like a Wiseco or a hot rod crank seem to be much better quality than the stock replacement parts. On the 04, the cylinder has a tendancy to crack due to a thinner cylinder wall. An 05 will bolt right on and that problem is solved. Main bearings and seals are a necessity if you replace the crankshaft. Water pump seal is also a great idea to replace. That should help you burn up that extra cash you have laying around. If not, I'll send you my address to get rid of whatever's left! Good luck and ask if you need anything else!

James,

Use a good quality piston like a JE, Moose (CP) or something of that nature. Valves are all pretty good when it comes to stainless. Definately a timing chain and a decompression spring. Crankshafts are always questionable, specially if you don't know how many hours are on the bike. Something like a Wiseco or a hot rod crank seem to be much better quality than the stock replacement parts. On the 04, the cylinder has a tendancy to crack due to a thinner cylinder wall. An 05 will bolt right on and that problem is solved. Main bearings and seals are a necessity if you replace the crankshaft. Water pump seal is also a great idea to replace. That should help you burn up that extra cash you have laying around. If not, I'll send you my address to get rid of whatever's left! Good luck and ask if you need anything else!

pretty much sums it up right there:thumbsup:

pretty much sums it up right there:thumbsup:

charlie nailed it right on, the cylinder issue was on a few select 04's so when it comes to rebuilding the motor just inspect the cylinder well, measure the taper and out of round (which should always be done) and check the cylinder skirts for any fatigue or cracking.. the 05 cylinder is a better model cylinder, cylinder base modifications will be needed to clear the oil jet..

http://www.eric-gorr.com/HondaCRFbook.pdf

James,

thanks bro heres some pics of the bike

DSCN2559.jpg

DSCN2560.jpg

DSCN2561.jpg