Higher flowing air filter for street only?

What's up guys. The other day I had the foam air filter out of the bike and drying from washing it. I took the bike out around the neighborhood to warm up the oil so I could change it. With all the covers on, and no air filter, I was very surprised at how much more power the bike had. Really shows how restrictive an oiled foam air filter really is.

So, I know K&N is not to be used in the dirt, but what about for the street? Think the gains are noticeable/worth the cost? I was thinking it could be something I change out whenever I change from street to dirt (two sets of wheels).

What about the screen in the airbox? That's the backfire screen, right? Is it necessary? I'm sure that could increase airflow also. I know people take them out of RMZ 450s and gain some power.

This is a 2000E plated and SM'd.

Just wondering,

Steve

I run a K&N all the time ...street and dirt.......👍 I just put a filter skin over it when I go into some really silty areas with my SM🤣

Don't forget to grease the lip of the K&N really well before install

So, debi...have you ever used a foam filter? If so, did you notice a difference from foam to K&N?

Has anyone removed the screen?

Thanks!

Steve

+1 that Debi really knows her stuff, and her ballet shoes.

I only know from learning from all the guys I ride with as well as you DRZ nuts in here too :applause:

Wish I could have met you when I still lived in Ohio but never got up your way before we moved here 🙂

So, debi...have you ever used a foam filter? If so, did you notice a difference from foam to K&N?

Has anyone removed the screen?

Thanks!

Steve

I ran mine with the Foam filter sometimes when I knew I was going to take it into some really dusty areas but that was before I found the Filter Skins 👍

Only difference I could say was I also had the Sparky in as well so I couldn't verify the difference between foam and K&N power draw🤣

Only ones I know that have taken the screen out have not really said it did anything........I believe it's there to help create Turbulence for air draw:prof:

Hope this helps......but yes the K&N breaths way better than foam:thumbsup:

The only street my S normally sees is the ride to the trail. I have the K&N and pre-filter on it and I did notice a difference and my intake is always clean.

Run it, ifs its really dusty your gonna have to clean it more often. Just like a foam filter.

Wish I could have met you when I still lived in Ohio but never got up your way before we moved here 👍

We still do the flat track races every Memorial day weekend at Canton. We also do a vintage race at Wauseon and I have developed a connection with Ohio International Raceway for MX. I'm their new preacher!

• 2 months later...
i have a bmc on mine, and it seems like the bike has a little bit more throttle response.

Ditto....Upon switching from stock to the BMC, I definately noticed a difference....and I always kept the stocker clean.

how do you clean the stock filter? mines pretty dirty. Can I use dish washing soap? After washing it & drying up do i need to apply thin coat of engine oil?

Correct on the washing, incorrect on the oiling. You need to use air filter specific oil. It is tacky and does not flow like engine oil. Be sure to grease the rim,/bottom of the filter to ensure a good seal to the airbox. Failure here is one of the main causes of premature valve failure.