Sign in to follow this  

6 speed xrr trans??? anyone

Has anyone ever found a six speed trans that fits in the xrr cases? Ever??

I tried a XR350 6-speed in a XR600, not even close. A punched out version (700cc) of the XRR motor is currently being used in a Honda ATV but I don't know if it has a 6th gear. I've thought about swapping top ends for a 700cc bike.

I tried a XR350 6-speed in a XR600, not even close. A punched out version (700cc) of the XRR motor is currently being used in a Honda ATV but I don't know if it has a 6th gear. I've thought about swapping top ends for a 700cc bike.

Five speed with REVERSE in the 700cc ATV. THAT would be a hoot in a bike!🤣 Get yerself in a bind... no worries, kick it in R and give it a twist. I guess you'd have an XR700RR 👍

My plated XR650R tops out at 103 mph so I'm not sure what I'd be gaining with a 6th gear.

My plated XR650R tops out at 103 mph so I'm not sure what I'd be gaining with a 6th gear.

About 15-20 miles miles per hour 👍

At least you'll make it harder for whoever has to pick up all your parts scattered over the road.

At least you'll make it harder for whoever has to pick up all your parts scattered over the road.

Easier actually... use use a firehouse for the small stuff. 👍

About 15-20 miles miles per hour 👍

My point is IMHO my XRR's top speed is fast enough, I hardly ever run it up to 100mph. I'm always looking for more power but the top speed in fine for what I use the XR for.

I think even if you found a 6 speed gear set that would fit in the cases the gears would be to small to hold up to the torque from the big Honda.

My point is IMHO my XRR's top speed is fast enough, I hardly ever run it up to 100mph. I'm always looking for more power but the top speed in fine for what I use the XR for.

Yep... I dont see much point for the XR650R. The gear spacing on the XR600R and the XRL gearboxes is kind of goofy though so you have to pick trail worthy gearing or highway gearing. My XRL has a hybrid XRL/XR600R gearbox and 14/48 sprockets, so she could use a sixth gear on the highway. As luck would have it, I don't ride on the highway much, so problem solved.

btw... I was yanking your chain 👍

If you want a close ratio gearbox, use a 600 transmission with an '88 NX650 second gear.

A sixth gear would be handy in some situations, but they are usually coupled with engines that have a narrow power band.

About 15-20 miles miles per hour 🙂
🤣

HP is the limiting factor for the L's & R's top speed NOT gearing...nether will redline in 5th gear w/ stock gearing :jawdrop:

short of following a runaway trunk downhill to block the wind...HP is the only thing that will increase the top speed.

BUT higher gearing will lower the rpm at the top speeds 👍

my "Piglet" has a six speed, also both kickstart and e-start...but it only comes in orange! :cheers:

:applause:

I think you will find a Honda XR650R will easily reach redline with stock USA gearing of 14/48 and even with 15/41 over here is OZ, i run 15/45 and i feel pretty confident that it would, i just havnt got the balls yet to try it out as it just keeps pulling.

HP is the limiting factor for the L's & R's top speed NOT gearing...nether will redline in 5th gear w/ stock gearing 🙂

short of following a runaway trunk downhill to block the wind...HP is the only thing that will increase the top speed.

BUT higher gearing will lower the rpm at the top speeds 👍

my "Piglet" has a six speed, also both kickstart and e-start...but it only comes in orange! :jawdrop:

🤣

:applause:

I think you will find a Honda XR650R will easily reach redline with stock USA gearing of 14/48 and even with 15/41 over here is OZ, i run 15/45 and i feel pretty confident that it would, i just havnt got the balls yet to try it out as it just keeps pulling.

i've tried it on both bikes(R & L)...

...and nether will hit the rev limiter in 5th gear...reguardless of wut u "think" and "feel"...

...physics is work'n against u.🤣

👍

Edited by Kenzo

...and nether will hit the rev limiter in 5th gear...reguardless of wut u "think" and "feel"...

👍

How much mass are U putting on the seat? 🙂

Might make a difference?

👍

Except you are ignoring redline is after the power drops off.

If you gear down a bit, the bike is making peak power and will enable a faster top speed.