Sign in to follow this  

Quick stalls as soon as I pull in the clutch 650L

I did about 25 miles of trails on my 08 650L yesterday. Bike ran great... I recently jetted up to 160/55 and installed a Q4.

Strangely, this happened 2 times, (oddly enough, in the exact same location of the trail both times). It's a rough section of the trail. As soon as I round a bend, I pull the clutch in to shift and the bike stalls on me. Afterwards, she starts right back up again on first crank and runs great.

Both of these stalls happened instantly, as soon as I pulled the clutch lever in. This did not happen any other time or place throughout the day and we rode for several hours.

I was going to check to make sure the carb was seated correctly, I know it was, but maybe some rough riding knocked it around a bit??

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

-Monty

I disconnected my side stand switch, and rarely the jumper i put in there don't make contact and the bike will just die (switch off). I crank it a couple of times and no problem. Think you may have knocked the kick stand down a bit on that rough area? And clutch in is just a coincidence?

I thought it was the sidestand the first time it stalled. Then when it happened again, I wasn't so sure. I just didn't think that would happen twice, but it could have.

It stalled quick enough that it felt like a safety switch... it just quit.

I checked my carb and it seemed like it was seated correctly. So I don't know...

The stand switch is just another kill switch, so the motor will stop for it just like a kill switch.

I disconnected my side stand switch, and rarely the jumper i put in there don't make contact and the bike will just die (switch off). I crank it a couple of times and no problem. Think you may have knocked the kick stand down a bit on that rough area? And clutch in is just a coincidence?

i need to disconnect mine, what is the procedure to do that?

I unpluged mine, looped it with a piece of paper clip, and taped it. But i'm sure there is a more sano, more reliable, way to do it.

You may be a tiny bit lean or rich on the pilot jetting.

Mine did what you describe until I had it dialed in just right.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I noticed some occasional missing on the low end if I whack the throttle quickly, would that indicate a need for a bigger pilot?

I could try going up to a 58...

Thanks Dave,

I noticed some occasional missing on the low end if I whack the throttle quickly, would that indicate a need for a bigger pilot?

I could try going up to a 58...

Or maybe more a bit more turned out on the low-speed fuel screw.

Bike is happier if you shim the needle and drill the slide holes, also.

Dave