New clutch...plates and basket are loose...YOUTUBE VID OF PROBLEM

Hey guys, well yesterday I replaced the clutch in my gf's '05 150. Used the OEM Honda kit as well as buying a new pressure plate. Well I get every thing back together and the spindle nut torqued down and WTH ....I still have a few millimeters of freeplay in the whole clutch assembly?! Is this normal? I couldn't find anything about it in the service manual. I know I have both the washers in there.

I put the side cover back on and hooked up the clutch cable to test it and it seems to work. I did have the back the clutch adjustment out nearly all the way, but figured that just might be because its an old cable and a new kit. Also I noticed quite a bit more resistance while pushing the bike in gear with the clutch engaged.

I'm nervous put oil in it and test it. We are supposed to leave this evening for an overnight riding trip. So I got to figure this out quickly. Thanks TT

ALSO.........Does anyone have the torque specs for the clutch spring bolts? I put them at 10ftlbs.

EDIT...here is a video of what its doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTPykqcoq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTPykqcoq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by 181

Yea I soaked them. I don't know about starting it. I talked to a honda service tech and he said that it doesn't sound right.

I mean I can move the whole clutch assembly several mm. Like all the plates wobble in the basket...This can't be right can it?

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

Did you make sure there was the proper amount of plates with the new kit? Just two weeks ago honda gave us 2 plates short on a clutch kit for a friends sport bike.. I had to call them and tell them they are wrong many times before they admitted the mistake and ordered the rest ๐Ÿ‘

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

Did you make sure there was the proper amount of plates with the new kit? Just two weeks ago honda gave us 2 plates short on a clutch kit for a friends sport bike.. I had to call them and tell them they are wrong many times before they admitted the mistake and ordered the rest ๐Ÿ‘

Yea they were all there. Every thing seemed to go together like it should..

I just put up a youtube vid of the cluch so everyone can see what I'm talking about...sorry for the $hitty iphone quality vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTPykqcoq8

oooh thats definitely not right

The clutch nut is tight you say???

Your whole basket is loose.. Did you buy a complete new basket? Or just the front pressure plate?

The basket should have never have even have came out of the bike, and the torque on that MAIN clutch bolt is gonna be something 'LIKE" 30-80ft lb's (I'm not sure of the torque)

oooh thats definitely not right

The clutch nut is tight you say???

Your whole basket is loose.. Did you buy a complete new basket? Or just the front pressure plate?

The basket should have never have even have came out of the bike, and the torque on that MAIN clutch bolt is gonna be something 'LIKE" 30-80ft lb's (I'm not sure of the torque)

Yea the nut was put on with a impact wrench. The basket is the same but the pressure plate back pressure plate is new. The old one was grooved from the back clutch plate having all the fiber ground off of it.

well this I took the whole thing apart again and ran it up the the Honda shop. The tech there couldn't figure out what was wrong. Said I could leave it there and he would look at it on Monday. But I'm just gonna mess with it the next few days.

I noticed if I leave the spline washer out then every thing will fit snug. So its like it just not seating properly.

When your putting it together, you are putting the basket itself in and torquing it down first right? with none of the plates or fibers on it?

THEN after its torqued down, and isn't jiggling (if you can get that far without it jiggling) then you install the plates/fibers, then torque down the pressure plate..

When your putting it together, you are putting the basket itself in and torquing it down first right? with none of the plates or fibers on it?

THEN after its torqued down, and isn't jiggling (if you can get that far without it jiggling) then you install the plates/fibers, then torque down the pressure plate..

how do you torque down just the basket? I'm putting the basket on the shaft, then the star washer thing, then the whole inner clutch assembly with the pressure plate all the fiber and steel plates, judder spring and outter clutch center. And finally the washer and spanner nut.

Just like this pic

CRF150F^2003^CLUTCH%20(03-05)?$oemlarge$

The 'basket' is just the rear portion of the clutch assembly. It's the large part that holds the plates and fibers.

The pressure plate is the last thing you install before installing the springs and bolts

I'm not 100% sure on a 150/230 cause I've never had their clutches out (but I've replaced clutches on a TON of other quads/dirtbikes/street bikes)

But you should just put the basket itself on, then most likely a washer, and the big nut, torque all that down, and it should be sitting there SOLID.

Then you stack your plates in 1 at a time

This is the clutch basket, this is what should be torqued down and mounted solid before you move onto the plates.

And honestly, for a clutch swap, this part should have never even have came off the bike. The big center clutch nut should have remained torqued down and didn't ever need to come off the bike. ๐Ÿ‘

edit: I'm not 100% sure of the 150f's design though.. I'm going to look at the manual myself right now to double check. But I've never seen a clutch that couldn't have the plates changed with the basket bolted to the bike

Clutch%20Basket.jpg

(btw not a 150f, just using picture for reference)

Well guess I'm wrong, guess the 150f is a design I've never seen.. ๐Ÿ‘

All I can say is make sure everything is lined up correctly, other then that I don't know..

Have you tried putting the front clutch springs/bolts on and seeing if it all jiggles when assembled?

Well guess I'm wrong, guess the 150f is a design I've never seen.. ๐Ÿ‘

All I can say is make sure everything is lined up correctly, other then that I don't know..

Have you tried putting the front clutch springs/bolts on and seeing if it all jiggles when assembled?

Yea the 150s clutch is sort of backwards from MX bikes and street bikes. Yea I put it all together and it still moves like in the vid. I'm about to just say eff it and take it to a dealer. I appreciate your help man.

the hub and the pressure plate are indexed. it only "goes" together one way and works.

i had the same problem with mine, keep rotating the pressure plate around the 4 spring holes till you find the right hole/combo and it clicks together

Good to know ๐Ÿ‘

so much for rep

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to heybuddy1901 again

the torque is 9 foot pounds on those bolts....and go ahead and assemble everything with the springs and all, i will be you the play goes away. the trick is getting part 2 and part 8 to mesh together. once you do that there will still be a small amount of play once set into the basket, this is normal then button everthing up and test for wiggle there should be none