Sign in to follow this  

FMF Exhaust Question

Hey all...Hope spring has sprung where you"re at like it has in Western Pa. If you remember my debut thread about the countershaft issue, you'll be happy to know I just got a 14-tooth XRR sprocket from JT and it's going on as we speak. I'll document that later in the other thread when it's done. I'm really excited about getting the XRL up and running again, and with that, I've decided to throw some $$$ it's way. I'll be doing all the usual mods (exhaust, air filter, smog delete, jetting, etc.) and I've decided to go with an FMF hi-flo header and a powercore 4 muffler. I know I could do a search on this, but in the interest of comraderie and discussion, I'd like some straight-up help in your responses to these questions: First, are there any other pieces required to install the above listed exhaust? I wasn't sure if the header bolted up directly to the muffler as provided, or there was some sort of mid pipe needed to complete it. Secondly, I'm thinking there's two exhaust manifold gaskets needed to install the header. Are they provided with the header kit? I wouldn't think so, but wondered what I should use in lieu of the stock pieces if any. And lastly, is there a baseline pilot-mainjet setting that works for this set-up? Thanks in advance for the help, Jim

Edited by hurricanejames

I ordered stock replacement exhaust manifold gaskets and they worked fine. Using with FMF stainless free flow header and supertrapp disk tip (in the middle of a jetting mod myself).

93 650L

650L210004.jpg

There are crush gaskets that go between the header pipes and the exhaust ports on the engine. Some people reuse them, but I wouldn't advise it. They're only $3 or $4 dollars, so it's not like they're going to break the bank anyways. 👍

55/158 is the best starting point for your jetting.

Agreed, 55/158 should work nicely.

You will certainly need the gasket that oges between the header and the silencer. The stock one should be perfect. The crush gaskets in the head are optional - they're more of a pain to get out than anything else. Unless you get blow by, I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed, 55/158 should work nicely.

You will certainly need the gasket that oges between the header and the silencer. The stock one should be perfect. The crush gaskets in the head are optional - they're more of a pain to get out than anything else. Unless you get blow by, I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn`t bet opn needing the midpipe gasket,,,my FMF Q fits on the OE pipe with no gasket,doesn`t require one,,i`ll bet a worn out chain that the FMF pipe will not need it either...👍

B

The crush gasket is the gasket i'm reffering to. You gotta get the old one out of there. They should be replaced every time you take apart, IMO.

The crush gasket is the gasket i'm reffering to. You gotta get the old one out of there. They should be replaced every time you take apart, IMO.

+1...

Brian

+1, I haved install my new header this week, New crush gasket is a must, to remove the old ones its easy with an flat screewdriver, pry them off. The header is a great fit, but I had some clearance issue between 2 fins on the head and powerbomb canister, so I grind the two fins

here some pictures:

img_2118.jpg

Thank you for all your responses. That'll give me a great starting point for this project, much appreciated. And guys, those pictures of your bikes are great inspiration...Nice!