Sign in to follow this  

which 03+ 125

i think i want to get a 125 for the track with the intention of making it a 144 eventually. out of the 03 and up kx's, was a particular year better than the others? i want to get one fairly cheap, so if there isnt a really good reason to get say an 07, ive rather get an 04 or something a little cheaper. there is a mostly stock 04 on CL for $1400. but if the motor on say the 05 was a huge improvememt i would rather get that. i am a slow rider on the track, i dont need a screamer, if a certain year made better low end id be more interested in that one. having said all that my biggest concern is handling. in know all the last gen kx's handled well, but is any one outstanding from the rest? any other info would be appreciated as well.

and... the 03's were a special year correct? a lot of 03 only parts, they are there own animal?

and... the 03's were a special year correct? a lot of 03 only parts, they are there own animal?

Exactly. We have one I'm rebuilding now. It's a major PITA.

that thing looks great. and the 05 was the last year they had the 125, and it was basically BNGed for that year. But ive heard it was a really good bike. I found that surprising considering i dont hear much about them and ive only seen like 3 of them at seaford.

The good part is that a few companies are coming back in 2011. At least that was the word at the dealers show in Indiana. Kawi is supposed to bring in the 125 and 250 AF.

i think i want to get a 125 for the track with the intention of making it a 144 eventually. out of the 03 and up kx's, was a particular year better than the others? i want to get one fairly cheap, so if there isnt a really good reason to get say an 07, ive rather get an 04 or something a little cheaper. there is a mostly stock 04 on CL for $1400. but if the motor on say the 05 was a huge improvememt i would rather get that. i am a slow rider on the track, i dont need a screamer, if a certain year made better low end id be more interested in that one. having said all that my biggest concern is handling. in know all the last gen kx's handled well, but is any one outstanding from the rest? any other info would be appreciated as well.

04 got a couple changes, I think port timing and the new swingarm and linkage. 05 just got a new reed valve. Other than that 05 is identical to the 04 and the final year. 04+ is what you want but 03 is good I guess it just has the swingarm and linkage that doesn't interchange with any other year. Pistons are the same 03-05.

2 stroke nut has told me the 04 is WAY better than the 03. Maybe he will chime in on this....

Haha I probably said my 05 KX125 sucked balls, but yeah the 04 would be better just with the new swingarm and linkage and all. They should all be equally slow:smirk:

yea im not a fan of oddball year bikes, not well supported etc etc. seems like every bike ive owned has been like that.

that 04 is tempting

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/1672572121.html

I'd jump on that probably offer him 1200? the 04-07 KX250 and 04-05 kx125 parts should interchange.

Its a great handling bike just slow but shouldn't matter if your gonna throw a 144 kit on it.

04 got a couple changes, I think port timing and the new swingarm and linkage. 05 just got a new reed valve. Other than that 05 is identical to the 04 and the final year. 04+ is what you want but 03 is good I guess it just has the swingarm and linkage that doesn't interchange with any other year. Pistons are the same 03-05.

Haha I probably said my 05 KX125 sucked balls, but yeah the 04 would be better just with the new swingarm and linkage and all. They should all be equally slow:smirk:

I'd jump on that probably offer him 1200? the 04-07 KX250 and 04-05 kx125 parts should interchange.

Its a great handling bike just slow but shouldn't matter if your gonna throw a 144 kit on it.

you weigh quite a bit more than i do? im 170

heres some info i found

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/141_0311_kx/index.html

i was thinking the same thing offer him $1200.

you weigh quite a bit more than i do? im 170

heres some info i found

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/141_0311_kx/index.html

i was thinking the same thing offer him $1200.

Haha yeah quite a bit:smirk: but I traded with my brother who is about 170 and he said the same thing. But its a great bike. Smooth power without really a hit. I prefer the handling of the kX to the RM or YZ as well.

2005 was the last year for release in the USA.

Look on European or AUS sites for the EU or AUS parts diagrams.

From what I have read, the 2004 is supposed to be a little better than the 2003. There were some changes in 2005, but not really major changes. There were very small changes from the 2005 - 2008 in other countries.