looking for 2006 crf450r

im looking into getting a 2006 crf450r and i am looking for advise on what to look for and what to avoid in making this purchase. also is there a better honda year to go with? i love the hondas. they handle better. this will be my first 450 thumper.

Edited by pong

06's get lots of good press on here. I have one, bought it after selling an 04. If it has the stock chain that probably means it got low hours but the chain will be junk. Replace that and sprockets if needed. Get the manual cam chain tensioner, it's insurance against an engine failure from the auto tensioner losing tension. I got radiator braces, not the less expensive guards. It doesn't take much of a tip over to bend radiators on these bikes. I got flatland guards, Devol is very good also. I had works connection braces, fell down low speed at mx track, bent brace and radiator. They were 50.00, flatlands were 100.00 or so, spend the extra money. I also get a JD jet kit, although my bike ran well all stock.

I'm don't ride near as much as others here, but those are things I did to my bike to make it work for me. Also, take an 8mm socket with you. When you look at the bike, loosed the bolts for the radiator shrouds to fuel tank. My bike, and others on here, have had those bolts so tight that the nuts that are molded into the tank spin. This locks the bolt to the red radiator shroud and you can't get that shroud off without quite a bit of work. I ended up getting a new tank free from my dealer when I had this happen to me on my brand new bike. Chances are a used bike would have had this issue dealt with if it was ever a problem to begin with.

Good luck, 06 is a great bike.

thank you for your in put. where would i find the manual tensioner at and how can i tell if its manual or auto? i have a couple of bikes that have got my interest near by. both are claiming low hours. and the price range seems ok, i guess? what is the basic price range for a 06 with low hours? i have been riding for a few years now, all 2'stroke 250s though. with all you guys helping me i should be able to get up to speed on on the ins and outs of the 4-strokes. thanx again, any information is i can get is very helpful

I just picked up a super clean 05 for a deal and that bike is a trooper! What brand of manual cam chain tensioner is the best? I ran the jd jetting kit on my 250 two stroke and have been considering picking one up for the 450. Any huge differences with the jd kit on the bike? Sorry about the hijack!

I ride an 06 crf450r cross country and it has been a great bike with well over 1000 hours on it. they are great bikes. you should be able to pick one up for around 3000 range depending on where u live. riding season is here and these bikes are all over. goodluck..

The TT store here has a special on them, on the intro page for the "store". And they can get the JD jet kit too. Just click the "store" tab on the top here, and navigate around for a Honda 450. You will probably come up with ideas for other things you might want too.

I bought my 06 last year for $3,100. It's all stock and in great shape. I heard these things need frequent valve adjustments and probably shims so when the seller said he checked the valves b4 every race and they never needed adjusted I thought this must be a good one. It turns out I was right. I just took it to my local dealer and paid $67 for them to tell me they don't need adjusted. This ones a keeper.