Sign in to follow this  

06 dr200se problem starting

Hey gents,

just got this dr200se for my wife. started just fine when at the sellers house last night...of course, he probably warmed it up ahead of time.

I tried to turn it on this morning to putt around and it would turn over 1 or 2 times then start clicking. Changed the choke back and forth a few times, I got it to turn over a few more times, but not consistently. Kept clicking.

Finally tired of that for 5 minutes at least, switched to the ride/push start and it was just like normal. I am new to the whole idea of electric start.

After I rode it for 15 minutes, turned it off, it started right up. The seller said that these bikes are 'notoriously cold blooded,' and so is my xr650l, but it never fails to turn over.

thoughts? anyone got a spare starting motor for one of these, if that is the problem? Wish it still had the kickstart option...at least those are more reliable in general! 👍

that was one of my first thoughts too, but the lights + brights were working great. could that still be true even with the lights shining bright? Maybe that was all it was...

I think the starter would draw more juice than the light, but i'm no electrician... I would charge it on a charger and try again, it will either make a difference or not, either way you will narrow down the search of the mysterious problem.

that sounds believable. i dont have a charger, but maybe if i run it for a good amount of time around town to charge it and try it the next day that might test the same theory?

yah that should work, you might also want to test the battery (with a volt meter) after the charging run to check the voltage, and then again the next day to see if it dropped at all.

sounds like a plan. volt meter not in my bag of tricks currently, but they should be cheap enough I assume. I will probably pick one up at harbor freight.

thanks again,

Andy

Sounds like a battery problem to me as well. The capacity of the batteries on those is pretty marginal. One thing you could try is disconnect the head light and see if reducing the load lets it turn over better. If that is the case then it is probably time for a new battery.

hey, tried it out this morning with no problem after a 20 minute ride yesterday evening. I think the original issue was probably the battery having lost its charge since he hadn't ridden almost at all in the last 2 years (registration had expired april 2008). Seems like its keeping a charge now. I suppose I will know more specifically if it is keeping a charge after letting it sit for a week and trying again.

thanks for the support 👍 I've been off spamming advrider more often than TT these days, but I still love the forum here!

thanks again,

Andy