Servicing Excel Pro Series wheels

Second owner of a set for my Yamaha, I used them on my 04 and now will use them on my 09. They are in need of service and most likely bearing replacement but I don't have any instructions and the Excel site only has a minimum of info. I assume all the bolts are lefty loosey and righty tighty, correct? I started with the 6mm allen bolts which I beleive are supposed to be torqued @ 16 ft lbs and they do not what to move. So I quit and thought I would ask the most obvious question before I break something.

I did do a search and found that some in this forum have them, I have also emailed RK Excel for instructions if they are available.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Well, I got the front wheel apart, and things look standard - not rocket science, just tried the bolts once again and one backed out so finished taking it apart. One spacer is longer than the other and I did not notice which side they came out of, but no biggy, they come out easy after being removed once. I'll tackle the rear later, the front was in good shape - I think partly because it can be lubed at the hub. I'm pretty sure when I get the rear apart it will require bearings and most likely seals.

I'll post back once I complete it so that there is a reference regarding these wheels. The few instructions RK has out there makes it sound as if you should have an ME degree, with pro certification. So far this shadetree mechanic has been able to get by!

They're actually quite easy to work on, but sometimes a little heat is required to loosen up the loc-tite on all the allen bolts. Also, believe it or not, all the replacement parts (bearings, seals, spacers, etc...) directly from RK Excel are priced quite reasonably. Its something like $5.00 a bearing and same for the seals. I had a hell of a time finding replacements at first and spent big loot at a bearing shop before actually calling and dealing directly with them. They're good to deal with and it's never taken more than 4 or 5 business days for me to receive my parts from them and I'm basically located in Philly PA.

I have a set of Excel Pro Series wheels that I recently went through. The previous owner had broken off an ez out in one of the front brake carrier allen bolts, so that was fun dealing with. Excel uses lots of thread locker so they recommend using some heat before removing the carrier bolts. The actual bearings are pretty industry standard 6005-2RS. The front wheel uses 2 and the rear wheel uses 3 bearings.

The instructions and diagrams can be found at the following site, near the bottom of the page: http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/mx_pro_series.html

I ordered my seals and bearings from the TT store for a good price.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=106&s=2