KLX 140 to KLX140L, What is needed?

Well it is time to upsize my Son's 2008 KLX140 to a KLX140L. From my research, here is what I know: (edited based on new info from below)

1) Front forks are the same between both

2) Rear swingarm is NOT the same between both, need to make longer or buy a new one

3) Same brakes, both

4) Different rear shock, can you use the regular 140 shock? Any one who has upgraded to KX100/85 parts want to sell us a stock 140L rear shock?

5) Front and rear hubs are the same 28 spoke units for both

6) Need new spokes for the front and rear:

a) Need 14 211 spokes for RH side Front

? Need 14 207 spokes for LH side Front

c) Need 14 179 MMX spokes for the inner Rear

d) Need 7 171 spokes for the RH outer Rear

e) Need 7 175 spokes for the LH outer Rear

7) Need a new front 28 holes, 1.40 x 19 rim

8) Need a new rear 28 holes, 1.85 x 16 rim

9) Need new rim strips, tubes and tires.

10) Need new rear brake line for longer swing arm.

We want to get new black rims and we already have the stuff to powder coat the hubs candy lime green (think Monster Energy edition).

Are we off track? Anything we are missing? Like I said, any of you that have upgraded your 140L with the KX100/85 suspension, have any take off parts, that would be great. This is part of his upcoming 14th birthday present and I want to start getting stuff in line to at least get his bike to KLX140L spec. We are trying to do this on a budget so rather than buying a whole new suspension/bike, we are hoping that we can rebuild the wheels with what we have already (hubs, nipples) and the bare minimum of new parts. I would like to keep this under $400 if possible.

Thanks!?

Edited by vwsandman
added/corrected info

unfortunately, I think you are off on one big part. I believe the swing arm is longer on the L model. that really doesn't help your $400 budget. don't know where exactly you would find out. I looked on bike bandit. They appear to be different and for some reason the 140 costing a few dollars more than the 140 L

I will have a stock 140L shock available soon.

Edited by bspill1

Thanks for the info about the swingarm and brake line. I thought the clearance looked tight between the wheel and front of the swingarm with the "small" 140. Guess that will be the big hit going upsize, unless I can figure out how much longer it needs to be and extend it out.

Can some one please take a measurement of the stock 140L swingarm from the swingarm pivot to the end of the swingarm so I can have a total length?

I have my own TIG welder, so making this a little longer is do-able, or I can go the easy route and buy a new one. They make swingarms different sizes all the time in the sport bike world so this should not be any different.

bspill1, please let me know how much the shock will be in a PM, very interested. Thanks!

vwsandman,

I have both a KLX140 in stock form and a KLX140L with KX100 front and rear suspension. (I have posted previously on how this was accomplished.)

There is about 1.5" of clearance between the front of the rear Tire and the Swingarm aluminum on both Bikes.

Assuming Tire measurements are 'proper', the 16" Wheel should have a 1" longer radius than the 14" Tire. This is logical, as the KLX140L's Swingarm is 1" longer.

Based on this, the 16" Wheel should just fit. But the plastic shield in front of the Tire might need to be set back. Also, the Bike has about 0.75" of room on the Chain Adjuster to move the Wheel back. Your KLX140 has a 122 link DID 428H Chain. Perhaps putting on a 124 or 126 link Chain would move the Wheel back enough to eliminate any clearance issues.

Having said all that, I will throw in just a bit of personal opinion.

I have run my KLX140L with full KX85/KX100 suspension using both the 14/17" Wheel set and then the 16/19" Wheel set. Yes, the larger Wheels make the Bike a bit more stable.

Having established that, I would take the Bike with the 14/17" Wheels and the KX85/KX100 suspension over a stock suspended Bike with the 16/19" Wheels any day, in any conditions. By far. Point being, putting your money towards a full KX85/KX100 front and rear suspension will prove for more advantageous than moving up to the 16/19" Wheels. Given the choice.

I do hope my previous How-To posts were helpful for you, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your Bike setup just the way you and your son like it. We really love ours. Take care, and have fun...

Erik

Thanks for the input STi21! How is the ground clearance comparasion? We mainly ride enduro style trails and not alot of track/motocross stuff, I am more concerned about going over logs and trail clearance and the fact he is almost as tall as I am now and he had troubles with obstacles on the trail last year which proved frustrating for him. We have his bike set up more for Enduro with Trail Tech headlight and Vapor computer. Only 1" difference in the swingarms eh? That might be very easy to get out of the stock swingarm with some simple mods. I have found the 140L swingarm online for "only" $294.77 which is not bad considering the $396.20 list price. All the KX100/85 stuff I have looked at was pretty expensive...All this info is helping though and very welcome. Thanks to all.

vwsandman,

Yes, the KLX140L's Swingarm is 1" longer. For certain.

I see your dilemma - and why ground clearance is a priority.

The KLX140L does sit 1" higher because of it's larger 16/19" Wheels. That would prove helpful.

A set of KX85/KX100 Forks, set to thier lowest position (slid all the way up in thier Clamps) will raise the front of the Bike by just over 1". To balance the Bike out, per art5, flipping over the rear Link raises the rear of the Bike by just over 1" also.

I recently found out from codius13 that the KLX125's rear Dog Bone Linkage fits the KLX140's. This should raise the rear of the Bike another 1/2" or so, but I have not tried this out yet.

So, you definitely have a few options to get more ground clearance for your intended use. Best of luck...

Erik

I would say that between the KX100/80 front forks, rear dog bone flip and larger wheels, we could get at least another 2" of ground clearance. We would rather not buy another machine as we figure in two years or so he will have his Motorcycle drivers License and will more than likely get my 2008 Yamaha WR250R so we can do some ADV rides together. Looks like we have some choices to make with regards to the direction to go in, and I think I was being a bit too conservative in my initial cost estimates. My wife suggested selling the 140 and upgrading to the 140L, which would get us a little closer to where we want to be, but still needing to do a few things. I regret not getting the 140L in the first place, but at the time it might have been a bit too much for him as it was his first "real" motorcycle. Not sure there is much else in the small bike 4 stroke world that is close to the 140L in terms of Enduro potential...at least not at the same cost anyway. I still think our best bet is to work with what we have since it has been a bullet proof little machine that has no flaws other than the boy's growth spurt.

My local dealer is really good, I have the next five days off so I wil take the time this week and swing down and see what kind of "deal" we can work out, I know the boy really likes the Monster Energy edition, so getting one in the 140L flavor may just be the ticket after all. Can't hurt to ask and explore all the possibilites...I mean, my wife has already more or less given it the green light so I think that might be the answer...

Edited by vwsandman

vwsandman,

Sounds like a good plan.

I can also say with absolute certainty that the rear Shock on the KLX140L is vastly superior to the rear Shock on the KLX140. Hope your dealer can help you out...

Erik

Dealer only has a regular 140 in stock, he may be able to do a dealer trade, maybe even for a Monster energy 140L. We may just sell the 140, (if we can get it sold, times are tuff) and use that money toward the 140L. See what he comes back with. I think we should be able to get at least $1,500 for his 140 with Trailtech X2 headlight, Endurance computer, and DRC LED tailight. That is according to the NADA blue book the Dealer had.

Did some more research and we might go with a Yamaha TTR-230 instead, this bike has electric start, disc front brake, 21" front wheel, 18" rear. My son has grown so much since we bought the KLX140, that he really needs a full size bike, and we are not sure the 140L will be big enough, We sat on a KX100 yesterday and we thought that was too small...I am starting to think the KLX is going to be up for sale...

KLX 140 is gone ? We traded it in and got an 2009 Yamaha TTR-230. Problem solved. Only wish it had a disc rear brake like the KLX, but other than that, they seem pretty similar tech wise. The boy is happy, we got a pretty good deal even though we had to drive two hours each way to get it, but it was worth it in the end. The money and time I would have spent on the KLX140 would not have been worth it, I doubt the re-sale would have been any more, and in the end it would still be too small for him. So we will be adding a Trail Tech X2 headlight, Vapor computer, some handguards and an LED rear tail light and he will be woods ready! Thanks to those that posted up suggestions and ideas.

You would prefer better suspension so dont settle for the stock klx140l stuff, hit up ebay, and as for the wheels stock kx 85 or 100 wheels are identical to the 140 they all interchange, you can buy 85 stuff cheap off the bay, think it cost me about 50.00 dollars to do my rear end on my klx140l however without a l shock to use the clevis from this could be a problem.