Sign in to follow this  

cracked frame

ok guys im not a welder so i need some advice.ive been working on a slow rebuild of 2001 kx250.today i took the frame to a car wash an cleaned all the grease an stuck on crap off.when i got it home started to look it over real good an found a couple of small cracks on some of the welds.the one that worries me is the one that i found in the cradle.its about 2 inches long.starts at the top of the cradle tube an goes down at an angle to the engine mount an then goes under the engine mount.is this a repairible crack by a good welder or is this going to be a week spot.

thanks

Kawie

Yes it can be repaired, however are you sure the weld is cracked, or just the paint cracked? (I've seen before where the paint cracked over the weld)

im sure about the crack in the cradle.i sanded the area a little to bare metal an the crack is still there.im pretty sure a couple of the other welds are cracked too.im going to have the whole frame sand blasted to see anything else shows up.ill try to post some pics tomarrow.

thanks

Kawie

yes a welder can fix it ! I have weld up frames before with no problems the one thang i will say is to gusset the crack be cause the weld can weaken the steel around the weld . I would also check for other areas that are high stress and gusset them too but that is just me

drill holes at the end of each crack to keep them from spreading

heres the pic.

IMG_2172.jpg

i know my camera sucks or maybe its just me:lol:. but this is the best pic i could get.

Kawie

heres the pic.

IMG_2172.jpg

i know my camera sucks or maybe its just me:lol:. but this is the best pic i could get.

you can see were it starts at the top then goes down through the weld an then under the motor mount.

Kawie

thanks guys.GB i would love to have it powder coated but i dont think its in the budget.with the price of the bike($500) an all the broken stuff that i have to replace(swingarm linkage mount had a chunk missing,shock body has a crack in it,lower shock bear granaded an took the linkage with it).plus i have about a grand worth of parts that i have bought.(wheel,shock,linkage,stem bearings,front an rear wheel spacers,cables,front an rear break rotors an pads,universal top an bottom clamps with stem,break lines ect. ect.)i havent even got my motor parts,think im gonna stick my 96 kx250 motor that was just rebuit in it for now.

Kawie