chrome bore

the bore in my 97 cr125 i am lead to beleave to be chrome...

i have had the cylinder off and there is a tiny little fine lip at the top dead center where piston / ring dont touch.

i cant see any honing lines or anything and was wondering if you can get a chrome bore rehoned??????

if anyone could help that would b great:worthy:

Your bore is plated with a compound known as Nikasil, or a derivative. It can be honed with a bottle brush, or spring ball hone IF the wear on the cylinder after honing is less than .002". If you have a detectable ring ridge, it almost certainly is more than that.

Alternatively, the cylinder can be replated and refinished to standard size, or replaced.

Convienent you guys are talking about this. I have to get some work done on my nikasil KTM cylinder.

SERIOUSLY, I'm only looking for a ballpark.

What's the general price for a recoating? Whats the cost for repair welding?What have you paid in the past and what was the extent of repair?

Looking for a ballpark figure.

I can ship it to canada and get it fixed/recoated/honed, new piston/ring/pin/bearing, New gaskets, shipped for $799.

I figure locally I can cut out hundreds in shipping. Any Ideas or past experiences? -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I just picked up an ebay steal at $39.99 USD. Came with jug, reeds, cage, intake boot, PV, exhaust duct, and head. EBAY is always the answer. You just need some serious patience and always get good pictures and ask way too many questions. If you don't piss off the seller, you aren't asking the right questions. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

PS: Thanks for the input. I'm calling LA sleeve tomorrow to get a few quotes. I'll update this post here with info I recieve from LA Sleeve.