Sign in to follow this  

Hard shifting down but not up...

Hey guys I took my 250 out for a short ride arond today for about 10 minutes. It ran great but seemed to be harder to shift down. Up is fine. I put the bike away right after I felt this and havent tried anything yet. Any help appreciated.

Ok I went out and checcked the tranny oil. It was green before running then I let it run and checked it per manual andit was white. Idk if thats right. Then I adjusted my clutch cable and tried. Still hard shifting down and when I pull the clutch in to turn it makes a zzt zzt noise. Please helP!

Sounds like you have engine coolant mixed in with the tranny oil. Check you engine coolant level and see if it's dropped more than normal. Have you ridden through any deep water. If not you can start your bike and warm it up, then drain the tranny fluid and refill to see if it turns white again. But keep and eye on the engine coolant level.

Greyish color can be clutch wear (normal), or at worse case metal form a gear or maybe bearing (not normal). Warm it completely and let it drain for longer than normal. Then fill and keep an eye on the color and the shifting quality.

Greyish color can be clutch wear (normal), or at worse case metal form a gear or maybe bearing (not normal). Warm it completely and let it drain for longer than normal. Then fill and keep an eye on the color and the shifting quality.

So why was it green when I checked it cold?

So why was it green when I checked it cold?

Air bubbles in the oil and any debris in the oil being re-circulated while the motor is running. Dirty, old traning oil can also cause shifting problems.

Warm it completely and let it drain for longer than normal. Then fill and keep an eye on the color and the shifting quality.

WALKINGWOUNDED is right. Get some clean, fresh oil in there first. Check all fluids, then test it again while checking all fluids again.

Air bubbles in the oil and any debris in the oil being re-circulated while the motor is running. Dirty, old traning oil can also cause shifting problems.

WALKINGWOUNDED is right. Get some clean, fresh oil in there first. Check all fluids, then test it again while checking all fluids again.

Well the oil was never green I checked again today it was the lighting. I rode it and the downshifting wasnt hard after it wartmed up. Was this the proble,?