Sign in to follow this  

2006 Crf450R oil change HELP!

Just bought my used 06 crf450 and as always I was going to change the oil first thing but.....

I came across two problems:

#1. Why are there two oil fill holes? are there two separate oil pans that I need to empty and refill? if so, where is the right side drain plug? Is the oil all together in the crankcase or is it separate for the left and right sides?

#2. How much oil? I dont have the owners or shop manual and I cant find it anywhere else on the web. On the right side, just beneath the oil fill is printed: "670 CM3" (the 3 is small and at the top, right side of the M). I would assume that this means 670 cc's or .67 litres but I'm not sure. If that is the correct amount? Am I supposed to put oil in the left and right side?

HELP!!!

There are two fill holes because there are two oils, engine and trans. Both drains are on the left side of the engine. If you look around here you can find a how to with pictures.

Run 700cc in both engine and trans! Both drain plugs are on the left side of the bike. One is behind the shifter for the trans and the engine drain is right at the shifter on the bottom of the flywheel cover

The 450 FAQ sticky at the top of this forum has the oil level specs, and lots of other info on these bikes if you ever need it. It's a must read for our bikes. I've got a manual for 02 to 04, if you need me to send you the pages on the oil change, pm me and I will.

So.... if I put 700cc's of Lucas 10w-30 motorcycle oil in both sides I should be good right?

I use 10w40 and yes you should be good to go. Change every 6-8 hours.