Sign in to follow this  

riding with no fuel screw?

last time I rode my bike was not starting when hot.

so before todays ride I turned the idle and the fuel screw out 1/4 turn to see if that would fix it and go from there.

25km later I decide to check the fuel screw and turn it again... hmm, either its not there any more, or I really am a retard like BBA says and I cant see it.

so I get off my bike and what do I see? nothing!! my damn aftermarket screw rattled itself out of the carb! and I had been riding it like this!! I didnt notice any performance losses in the bike, so I continued to ride all day and put another 40 or or so km without the fuel screw. bike ran fine but it would idle high sometimes.

so I am wondering... did I hurt anything by riding it in about 60km (2 engine hours) of trails with no fuel screw in my carb?

Riding without it wont hurt anything but performance. Probably ran like crap. If not, you got more issues (like a carb dirty and jetting problems)

You could have always sucked in dirt & sand into the carb and motor. But I would tear down the carb, clean it, inspect the valve clearances, get new parts and keep running.

no it actually ran very good all day. id had a high idle but otherwise was very good!

ive been told that its my pilot jet is bad if it ran fine with no fuel screw, not just trying to figure out what a pilot jet is, where it is, and what size I need!

thanks.

ive had one for about 2 years now... ill figure it out, dont worry about it.

thanks anyways.

The pilot jet is in the bowl. You can access it through the main jet hole. Its toward the front of the carb nearest the engine side in front of the main jet.

Get yourself one of those R&D remote screws. I did and its great. No more burned fingers and it cant fall out.

Your pilot jet is correct when you get the correct fuel screw settings between 1 and 2 turns out of fully bottomed.

The pilot jet is in the bowl. You can access it through the main jet hole. Its toward the front of the carb nearest the engine side in front of the main jet.

Get yourself one of those R&D remote screws. I did and its great. No more burned fingers and it cant fall out.

Your pilot jet is correct when you get the correct fuel screw settings between 1 and 2 turns out of fully bottomed.

perfect, thanks for the help. I am only familiar with the main jet and the needle 👍

yes those R+D racing ones are very nice... but unfortunately gonna cost me around 60$. ive already bought and paid for a new tusk fuel screw for 15$ off ebay so cant go wrong... stealership charged me 40$ for the last one!